Anyone viewing 3D photos on a Mac?

Reaction score
I want to experiment with 3D photography using a Sony alpha-55 camera, and view the output on my Macbook Pro ... somehow .... rather than a Bravia TV (which I don't own, so obviously that would be difficult)

So are there any options that would allow this? I want to view via decent Active Shutter glasses, the same types that are used on 3D TVs.

I guess I need a video card that can handle the 3D stuff + somewhere to plug the glasses in, plus viewer software.

Does this solution exist for my Macbook Pro? I read about the ATI Radeon HD 5870 upgrade card, and on the AMD site it says: "3D stereoscopic display/glasses support" but what sort of support this is, I really have no idea.

I understand NVidia are the market leaders in 3D cards, but not sure if it possible to plug their cards into a Mac, and get the software support etc.

The other thing I have read is that a monitor really needs to refresh at 120 Hz minimum for active shutter to work at all well, as that is only 60 Hz per eye ...... and I believe Apple displays are slower than that?

I know its a complicated subject but if anyone out there is viewing 3D pics on their Mac using active shutter glasses, it would be great to here what solutions are out there!

Actually, one further question, just realized I don't even know if its possible to upgrade the graphics card on a Macbook Pro, lol. Guess I should have found that out first! Is it? I have the 17" MBP so it has the "ExpressCard/34 slot" ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Unless I'm mistaken, it's not much of a video card issue for photos as it is a program issue that has to know how to render images in 3d(multi-views if you're referring to to the Sony's 3d). The graphics cards ARE important for 3d movement(like gaming, which was a big topic at E3).

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes you are right its a software issue, I need some software that can display the photos.

But its also a video card driver issue. I want to view the photos using active shutter glasses. So

a) I need somewhere to plug them in
b) The video driver does the work really (in combination with the software) - it needs to switch the output every frame from left to right eye.

So really, it sounds like I need an "all-in-one" package to view 3D content. I resigned already to not having this on my setup because I've just realized (I think) I can't even add graphic cards to my Mac (its a MacBook Pro not Mac Pro), but I would still be interested in seeing if any Mac people had a set-up to view 3D photos via active shutter glasses a la new 3D TVs.

If all else fails, I'll get a cheap PC set-up to do it, or maybe a 3D TV.

Lots more details from nVidia here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-content.html

They appear to be the only serious players at the moment, but its all Windows unfortunately afaics.

Even better is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-pictures.html

which has full details of 3D photo viewing and taking ....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.