OnyX Question

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am sure many of you use OnyX for the maintenance of your computer. I have a few questions regarding my SMART Status as well as the structure of my volume.

1) For the first time since I bought my Macbook three years ago, it is saying that "The volume needs to be repaired" under the "Structure of Volume" tab in OnyX. What does that mean?

2) It says that I have to insert the installation disk to repair the disk through Disk Utility. I bought this Macbook with Tiger installed, but I have since upgraded to Snow Leopard. So, which one do I use?

3) How does the installation disk repair the disk? I'd like to know the technical side of things.

4) What is a SMART status? It says that my disk seems to be working correctly. What does this mean?

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How to Check a Mac's S.M.A.R.T. Status | eHow.com

This explains the SMART system, which is very reliable.

To repair the hard drive, pop in the Snow Leopard disc, reboot holding down 'C', go to Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk which will do a complete check of the volumes of the hard drive. You cannot repair a drive you are booted from hence the need to run the program from the boot disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.