IMac G5 Boot Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 20" 2.0, 250G
I have an IMac G5, given to me by a friend. Sometimes it will boot and get me to the password screen but most of the time just the fans run and sometimes the white light on the face of the machine is illuminated. I hear a fan running as soon as it starts up and then another much louder fan kicks in after a few minutes. I'm using a PC keyboard and mouse because he lost the Apple stuff. He gave me the operating system discs but from what I read I need the Apple keyboard to get to the "option" key to start the reinstallation. This is my first ever experience with an Apple product. My question is how can I reinstall the operating system and start fresh? I believe this is the best route for me to take because even when I get to the password request screen I don't have the password. My friend informs me his sister was the last to use the computer (she lost the keyboard and mouse) and doesn't remember what she used for a password. Is there a better way for me to go about this. Thanx in advance for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have the original install disks, that's a good start. You generally can use any USB keyboard with your Mac G5 and it should work. Does not have to be a genuine Apple keyboard. The "Option" key on your PC keyboard is the "Alt" key. The "Apple" or "Command" key is the "Windows" key.

Go ahead and reinstall and let us know.

OP
negril
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 20" 2.0, 250G
Thanx for your attention to my request. First off, the boot discs I have appear to be copies but I've been told that he reformatted the drive on this computer with these discs within the past two years and its performed OK up until this problem. Second, I'm afraid to insert boot disc 1 because it seems there is no way to eject the disc. After the initial attempt to boot, when the keyboard indicator lights flash momentarily, I have no keyboard input to eject the disc. Any suggestions. Thanx again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Copies of the install media is troublesome since they may not work and also since they're unlicensed. In other words, illegal copies. First thing you should do is buy a legal copy of OS X. Your iMac G5 can run the latest Leopard version which is 10.5.8. New install media is going to be expensive. A retail Leopard set is going to cost around $129 or more.

Once you get that out of the way, here's some hints on how to eject the disk with your PC keyboard:

A Mac doesn't have an external eject button on its CD/DVD drive. Instead, it offers several options for ejecting a CD or DVD. Here are the most common.

All Apple keyboards have an eject key, usually located in the upper right corner of the keyboard. Press the eject key to eject the CD or DVD from the drive.

On any keyboard, press and hold the F12 key until the CD or DVD is ejected from the drive. This may take several seconds.

Click on the desktop icon for the CD or DVD, and drag it to the trash.

Some applications, such as iTunes, Disk Utility, and Toast, have an eject command in a menu or toolbar. Launch the application and use the eject command to eject the CD or DVD.

When all else fails, click and hold the mouse button while restarting your Mac.

Another option is to purchase an Apple keyboard. The aluminum Apple wired keyboard sells for $49.00 at an Apple store or Best Buy.

OP
negril
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5, 20" 2.0, 250G
WOW, $130 for an operating system before I even know if the computer will work. A tough pill to swallow.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
WOW, $130 for an operating system before I even know if the computer will work. A tough pill to swallow.

Hey...you got the computer for free!;)

Kind of the same thing would happen if you were given a "free" Windows computer with no OS on it. You would have to purchase a copy of Windows & install.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. Free isn't always free!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.