Having trouble repairing disk from remote dvd drive.

Reaction score
I just got my compute back today from getting the display bezel and logic board replaced, and while I was at the repair place, I picked up a copy of snow leopard. I am using a MacBook Pro 15" A1226 model. I just noticed my superdrive won't work, and I'm not sure if it's broken or what because I haven't used it in a few months, and I have updated firmware since then which could have screwed it up. I set up my parents' HP Pavilion dv6 to allow cd/dvd drive sharing, and got it to show up in the finder. I started to install Snow Leopard remotely, but then it stopped because my disk needs to be repaired. In order to repair, I need to boot from the disk. The problem is, when I follow the instructions for booting from a remote disk drive, the wireless connection doesn't show up when I hold alt/option during startup. I only get the main HD. I've tried connecting to the drive through my wireless router and through an ethernet cable. I have also tried going to Startup Disk under System prefs and clicking network and having it restart and look for a volume on the network. My computer just started up like normal. I am getting really sick of this computer's constant problems as of late, and I am about to just get rid of it and buy a nice PC because I am getting used to borrowing my parent's $650 PC constantly with no problems whatsoever while my $2000 MacBook constantly fails. My school classes are almost completely online and I need my computer to work. I had no issues until the warranty was up, and then all **** broke loose, and most problems were all problems from manufacturing flaws. The only free repair I got was the logic board for the display that went bad. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy an external DVD drive, USB or Firewire. USB is probably less expensive and can be used to boot your MBP and attempt to repair the hard drive. Remote access is a royal pain as you found out. And trying to repair a hard drive remotely usually does not work. If you had another Mac you could do the repair and installation via Target Disk Mode, but without that, an external drive is best.

OP
W
Reaction score
I am not willing to spend more money on this computer. I am planning on selling it, and I thought having Snow Leopard would help it sell.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, if the internal optical drive is defective and you can't install Snow Leopard, that will certainly decrease the machine's value. It's up to you. I bought an external DVD double layer 8X external Samsung drive for $29.95 several months ago from Amazon.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.