MacBook Pro hot and very slow

Reaction score
Hello, I have a MacBook Pro which i bought brand new back in December of 2006. I am running OS X 10.6.4. with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 3 GB of RAM (1 GB, 2GB). My computer recently has begun to run very slowly. I installed Windows XP through VMware Fusion about 2 weeks ago. Every time I run it, the computer start to heat up and all the fans turn on, which i thought was normal figuring running a virtual machine can make the processor run pretty good. but in the last 2 days, my computer will be running nothing at all, yet the computer is still extremely hot along with all the fans running. I turned it off and had it rest over night but when i turned it back on, it took about a good 5 min to boot up and is still running hot. I downloaded OnyX and cleared the cache and other unnecessary files that were in my computer. My hard drive is using 134 Gigs out of 160. Can that be the problem? I don't know what else to do except maybe just clear out the whole system and bring it back to default settings. If thats the case, I'll do it. I have my whole system backed up on 2 hard drives, 1 through time machine, the other just dragged and dropped.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My computer recently has begun to run very slowly. I installed Windows XP through VMware Fusion about 2 weeks ago. Every time I run it, the computer start to heat up and all the fans turn on, which i thought was normal figuring running a virtual machine can make the processor run pretty good. but in the last 2 days, my computer will be running nothing at all, yet the computer is still extremely hot along with all the fans running. I turned it off and had it rest over night but when i turned it back on, it took about a good 5 min to boot up and is still running hot. I downloaded OnyX and cleared the cache and other unnecessary files that were in my computer. My hard drive is using 134 Gigs out of 160. Can that be the problem? I don't know what else to do except maybe just clear out the whole system and bring it back to default settings. If thats the case, I'll do it. I have my whole system backed up on 2 hard drives, 1 through time machine, the other just dragged and dropped.

Three things:

- If your Macbook has been running fine since December 2006...and you installed VMware Fusion recently...that could have contributed to the current problem.
- Your Macbook may be hot...but it's probably not unusually hot. Typically when folks say "my Macbook is running hot"...it's between 75-90°C. You need to find out how hot your computer is. Try this program:

Temperature Monitor: Description

- if you have a 160 gig hard drive in your Macbook...formatted capacity I think is around 149gig. So if you currently have 134gig on it...that's 90% full...and yes...that could be contributing to the problem (slowness).

So bottom line is:

- running VMware Fusion (and associated programs within VMware Fusion) is probably causing the extra heat
- your 90% full hard drive is probably responsible for the slowness

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey thanks for responding. Should of noted that the 160GB is the formatted capacity of my hard drive. Also, the fans finally went off but as soon as i opened safari they went back on. I have a widget that says my CPU A Temperature Diode is jumping around from 135 degrees F to 150 F. I heard theres an app that can control the fans better in my system. Would that be advise to download it or is it a waste of time?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey thanks for responding. Should of noted that the 160GB is the formatted capacity of my hard drive. Also, the fans finally went off but as soon as i opened safari they went back on. I have a widget that says my CPU A Temperature Diode is jumping around from 135 degrees F to 150 F. I heard theres an app that can control the fans better in my system. Would that be advise to download it or is it a waste of time?

Ok...if your hard drives formatted capacity is 160 (134 used) that would be 83.7% full. Not as bad as 90%...but maybe a contributing factor for the slowness.

To be honest...the heat situation is probably normal...so I wouldn't get too freaked out about it. You could try this program for the fan control:

Download smcFanControl for Mac

...but I really don't think that it's going to help much. Your fans are probably already at top speed...so they're doing the best they can. But give it a try...who knows.;)

My Macbook Pro (as well as many other Macbook & Macbook Pro owners)...experience the same thing as you are regarding the heat. Some programs & websites like You Tube...just make your computer work harder.

Again for the slowness:

- your 83.7% full hard drive may be contributing to it
- when was the last time you repaired permissions
- don't have too many applications open at the same time. It just fragments your ram...not leaving enough available ram for any one program

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.