Creating a ghost/backup disk for my macbook

Reaction score
Hello in the next few months I am going to be purchasing a new macbook (hopefully a macbook pro) and am hoping to give my current macbook to a friend since it is in good working condition.

My question is can I create a new ghost/backup disk with my current programs and operating systems on it? I want to reformat the whole harddrive so it can have a fresh start, but not having to reinstall all the programs and everything currently on the computer.

How can I do this?

Feel free to mentioned software or other ways of accomplishing this task.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use a cloning program: SuperDuper (shareware) or Carbon Copy Cloner (donation ware). You'll need an external hard drive at least as large as the amount of data to be cloned. The drive has to be formatted to the Mac HFS Extended Journaled GUID scheme. The external will be bootable after the clone is made.

OP
M
Reaction score
Use a cloning program: SuperDuper (shareware) or Carbon Copy Cloner (donation ware). You'll need an external hard drive at least as large as the amount of data to be cloned. The drive has to be formatted to the Mac HFS Extended Journaled GUID scheme. The external will be bootable after the clone is made.

But will this have all my files on it or just essential programs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's cloning software. That means an exact copy of your hard drive just like Norton Ghost would make for a Windows hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.