disconnecting from external monitor

Reaction score
When I'm using my mbp at my house I plug it into: external monitor, usb that connects to my monitor and serves as a hub for my external hard drive, printer etc, and an audio cord that connects to my speakers. When I disconnect all I do is eject my hard drives and unplug the cords.

However, every time I disconnect and take my computer with me to class, my desktop screws up. Everything gets moved to the right and I can't see my MacHD icon or any of the files I have over there. Also, I can't click anything on the desktop at all. The problems persist until I restart.

Is there a way to avoid these problems when disconnecting? Should I shutdown before disconnect or is there another way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Turn mirroring on before disconnecting maybe?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Fodge is correct. You have your display preference set for "extended desktop" rather than "mirror". Change it as suggested and you should be OK.

Reaction score
I use a Henge Dock with my MacBook Pro at work. Before I disconnect it, I put it to sleep. Don't have the errors or misaligned icons. When I used it before and simply unplugged, I would occasionally get an odd screen resolution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.