Need power cord for Ariport Extreme. Where to buy?

Reaction score
I was recently given a used airport extreme router (the square one) by a friend. I was about to hook it when when I realized the power supply was missing the power cord that plugs into the outlet.

Is this something that I can buy at a place like Fry's or Radio Shack? Does it have a specific technical name instead of "the power cord that goes on the Apple airport extreme?" ;) I don't mind buying a generic product as long as it is the proper cord to use. I'm also not against buying it online, so if you have a reputable source or online parts, please let me know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Google is your friend.;)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
I did Google beforehand, I saw some for $5.

I just wasn't 100% sure that this was the exact cord I needed. I wanted verification since there are different versions of this router. I was reading that the power supply for the round router is different from the square router and was not sure if they use the exact same power cord. The links to the stores in the search just state it is for the airport extreme without giving any specifics, plus they all didn't reference the same item number/part. Certainly, I could spend the $5+$8 in shipping plus tax, it's not that expensive, but what a waste of time is that if it isn't the right cord? This is one of the reasons I was asking about brick and mortar store such as Fry's - it's easier to return and try a new cord if without having to do return shipping. I had no idea that it was frowned upon to ask a such a question or that I would need to preempt my message with "I Googled this already."

Anyway, I found out it the cord is a C7 power cord and now I know what to look for locally. I'll take the supply with me and make sure it's a good fit.

Thanks for the snark. Have a great day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
It has been a while since I have seen the good ole LMGTFY trick!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is anyone here actually helpful?

Honest question.

I think that you were pretty clearly helped in post #2!

Also...you may want to hold off on making judgements until you've been a member here a little longer. Being a member for less than 24 hours with 3 posts to your credit...is not exactly what I would say...a lot of information!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

Honest question.

How exactly were you NOT helped??? I googled for you, and then posted the link here for you.

???

Should I order it, pay for it, and wait outside your house to unbox and plug it in for you???

Geez… some people.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I order it, pay for it, and wait outside your house to unbox and plug it in for you???

Hey...while you're buying things for Mac-Forums members...I would like a nice new Mac Pro...I'll PM you my shipping address!;)

Oh...I can save you a trip. I can handle the unboxing & plugging in parts...I'm a BIG BOY!
smiley-laughing024.gif

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hey...while you're buying things for Mac-Forums members...I would like a nice new Mac Pro...I'll PM you my shipping address!;)

Oh...I can save you a trip. I can handle the unboxing & plugging in parts...I'm a BIG BOY!
smiley-laughing024.gif

- Nick

C'mon, you sure? You sure you don't need me to unbox it? or at least take the unboxing pics for you?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C'mon, you sure? You sure you don't need me to unbox it? or at least take the unboxing pics for you?

Hey...more the merrier...come on over! It's the least I can do for a new "paid for" Mac Pro!;)

Dinner's on me!:)

grilled_steak.jpg
images
images

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@ybenner

First, welcome to the Mac Forums.

No one here is purposely trying to give you a hard time. Sometimes we receive requests for help about finding things which could have easily been found doing a little searching by one's self. I think if you dig thru the Mac Forums you'll find a wealth of information that is indeed helpful. Don't let a bump in the road keep you from traveling....

Anyway, I found out it the cord is a C7 power cord and now I know what to look for locally. I'll take the supply with me and make sure it's a good fit.

That's always the best way to insure you buy the right part and not have to return it.

OP
Y
Reaction score
How exactly were you NOT helped??? I googled for you, and then posted the link here for you.

???

Geez… some people.

It wasn't completely helpful. I didn't need a Google search. I was looking for the name of the cord and a reputable supplier. Google will supply me with a list of links, but it doesn't clearly state whether it is the correct cord for the model router I am using or whether the vendor is an a**clown that will take weeks to ship, charge me the wrong price and then send me the wrong item.

So NO. Sorry. Not very helpful. fail.

What you were was attempting to be snarky by using lmgtfy under the ruse of being helpful.

Anyway. I was able to use a spare cord I had at home since someone else on the interwebz proved to be helpful and gave me the name of the cord and that it was a common electronics cord without resorting to using lmgtfy (novel concept). That person actually saved me time and money...OMG SO HELPFUL. ;)

chscag - Thank you for being nice. :) I am new and created this account specifically to get this answered. Perhaps my next go around will be to the tune of "Open Arms" by Journey and there will be unicorns and rainbows and a roller disco.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.