Tea in my macbook

Reaction score
Hi all
A cup of tea has been spilt in my macbook (no sugar) (model A1181) last weekend. It has been sent to an engineer to be looked at.What i am wondering is what is the likliehood its completely dead and not worth fixing it?
It is insured so i dont mind if its reapiairable or not i am just merely wondering if it will dry out?
It did work for a couple of days after it had the tea spilled on it but then it just stopped working and switched itself off on my son.
It was only after the event i found out it had had anything spilt on it at all. Apparantly it was a full cup of tea while i was in london!

grrr
sorry all have just noticed the sticky!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends on how much the repair cost are. If it cost more than half of what the computer is currently worth...I would say it is a lot cause. Move on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your insurance will replace the machine, go ahead and do that. Spills have a way of creeping up and causing future problems. Usually, (especially if the machine was on when the spill occurred) something will get damaged or shorted out. Even if it dried out and seems to be OK now, it will probably act up in the future.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hopefully we are talking about true insurance that covers the computer...and not Applecare. Since Applecare does not cover beverage spills or water damage.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If your insurance will replace the machine, go ahead and do that. Spills have a way of creeping up and causing future problems. Usually, (especially if the machine was on when the spill occurred) something will get damaged or shorted out. Even if it dried out and seems to be OK now, it will probably act up in the future.
I'm in complete agreement. If you can get the MacBook replaced then you should do so. The only time a person should live with a spilled liquid damage is if they can't afford the repair or the cost of a new one. If your insurance will indeed replace it then go for it. Depending on your insurance policy, it might be a lot harder to get a claim from your insurance if you reported the problem months later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.