P. Elements

Reaction score
I recently had to buy a new Mac as my old one's graphic card bit the dust ($900 fix-it?!) I went with the standard desktop iMac from Best Buy this time (Mac OS X, 10.6.4)

I was able to save the info on my old hard drive (they moved it over to an external/portable HD)

Here's my deal though... I want to use my old Photoshop Elements 3.0 (bought five years ago) Will my old 3.0 work on this new Mac?

I tried installing it (straight from software disk) 6 times last night. It completed installation, gave me the all clear/green check mark, but when I went to start the software up it said that it couldn't start because of 'personal information issues' (or words to that effect). :Confused:

How can installation be complete, but it won't work?

Any ideas?

Should I try dragging it from the external HD instead of installing it from the disk?

I hope this is still compatible even though it's an older version. I tried the demo of PE9 and it's so similar it's a waste of money! Plus the demo won't even let me build animated smiles - said it can't open multi layered gif/images. Nice.

Hoping for good news. Thx.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll need to install Rosetta in order to run any PPC only app on an Intel Mac. Insert the disc that came with your Mac and select the Optional Installs from the disc.

OP
Dryad
Reaction score
You'll need to install Rosetta in order to run any PPC only app on an Intel Mac. Insert the disc that came with your Mac and select the Optional Installs from the disc.

I went through the steps. I must have had Rosetta on the computer already as in the options list it said "Rosetta update".

Anyhoo... that was a no go too. Still not working. The most recent install gave me the green check to say it installed properly, but when I clicked on the program I received this pop-up (screen grab) yet again.

no-goPhotoshopElements.png

Anyone have a clue what's wrong here? It's my software, reg. same name, the serial number is correct, etc.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
Dryad
Reaction score
My guess because the beta was not uninstalled properly. Try the fixes here:

Adobe photoshop.... could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information? - Yahoo! Answers

Edit: i did find multiple posts of folks saying PE 3 is working in SL.

This is a brand new computer. It's done this from the first time I installed it. I routed through to pull all the files before each additional attempt at installing, but all have ended with this same pop-up.

Good to know it's possible, still can't get it to work though.

Any other ideas? Thx

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Head for the adobe forums.

OP
Dryad
Reaction score
To quote response from the adobe forum.

Alas, I would say it works on SL, but you can't install it on SL. Some people are able to keep running it if it was on a computer where an upgrade install of 10.6 was done, but I've never been successful in a fresh install in 10.6 and I don't know of anyone who has been, regardless of what forums may say. I can only suggest going back there and asking them the trick, because I, for one, sure can't do it. If they know how to fix the memory addressing/personalization issues, great!

So anyone here know the trick??

I refuse to accept defeat just yet!
smile.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.