Help Partition with Vista

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm havin' a huge issue here... I've discussed with people about the whole Vista Torrent file using my own serial key, I bought my old laptop in Japan when I was in the Navy and it's been a while since I lost my disc. I am having trouble with the ntfs drives. I can get to the point where I put in my serial number and it goes through, but when it asks me which partition to install it on, and I choose bootcamp it tells me I can't install ntfs on this partition, but I know you can. I also have ntfs-3g (freebie) installed after doing research and it still won't work. I am lost on what I need to do. I have a Macbook Pro 10.6.4 so I'm sure it has Snow Leopard which is supposed to support Vista...
if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful...
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're trying to get an illegal download of Vista (torrent download) to work which it probably is not going to. I realize you stated that you have a legal key, but it doesn't matter because you can not trust a torrent download.

You can always call MS customer support and have them send you a new Vista DVD set without an activation key. They'll charge you a nominal fee for the media or maybe even send it free. Better than messing with torrents.

OP
S
Reaction score
true, I didn't know that you could just call MS since everyone I ever talked to says to call the place I got the original from....
thanks for the help....

OP
S
Reaction score
need help with a partition

Ok, I have a copy of Vista and Partitioned my HD using NTFS-3G and when I install vista, it goes through the process just fine, after installation, it restarts as it's suppose to, but when it boots back up, it keeps trying to reinstall the disk. I don't understand. it is an old copy that I found in a box that I've kept with a bunch of old discs, I don't know if something may be wrong with the disk, or if it is user error....

OP
S
Reaction score
I found one of my copies... doesn't quite work though, completes install and then tries to reinstall again....
any help....
accidentally double threaded...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: merged duplicate threads.

I would suggest opening up Disk Utility, delete the Win partition, rejoin it to the OS X partition and then use Bootcamp for installing Windows.

OP
S
Reaction score
it actually worked... I had to format my partition with ntfs though... it wouldn't work any other way... but it does work... now ever since I installed vista on my partition, the sound doesn't work in vista but it works on Mac just fine...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have inserted the OS X disc while in windows in order to install all the drivers?

And then opened up Bootcamp sitting in the system tray (in Windows) to check for updates?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And, please don't cross post. You've already posted the sound problem in another forum and received answers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.