Can't install new software: brings up disk utility

Reaction score
Could my disk be damaged? For some reason each time I try and download anything to install (on my 2007 macbook pro) when I click the DMG file to install it the only thing that happens is it brings up the Disk Utility program. From there I don't see many options other than selecting the hard drive and clicking Verify Disk. I do that and it shows the disk is 'verified' however, I still can't seem to install the software.

My model a 2.2 gig with 2 gig DDR ram had 120 gig... which means 111 gig are usable and I've filled 105 gig aprox. leaving about 6 gig. I know it's not a good thing for my drive to be so full and I've been trying to delete old files.

Is there some disk utility that I could run that would help to do something to the equivalent of Dfrag for the mac?

Also, I was buying a 500 gig drive that a repair person was going to transfer all of my data onto but he said the "file transfer wouldn't work" so I'm still stuck with this drive.

HELP!

Thanks,

Phil

OP
M
Reaction score
Could my disk be damaged? For some reason each time I try and download anything to install (on my 2007 macbook pro) when I click the DMG file to install it the only thing that happens is it brings up the Disk Utility program. From there I don't see many options other than selecting the hard drive and clicking Verify Disk. I do that and it shows the disk is 'verified' however, I still can't seem to install the software.

My model a 2.2 gig with 2 gig DDR ram had 120 gig... which means 111 gig are usable and I've filled 105 gig aprox. leaving about 6 gig. I know it's not a good thing for my drive to be so full and I've been trying to delete old files.

Is there some disk utility that I could run that would help to do something to the equivalent of Dfrag for the mac?

Also, I was buying a 500 gig drive that a repair person was going to transfer all of my data onto but he said the "file transfer wouldn't work" so I'm still stuck with this drive.

HELP!

Thanks,

Phil

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A hard drive can not be verified while it's mounted and running the operating system. In order to check out your hard drive, you need to boot your MBP with your original install media (Tiger or Leopard - whichever you have) and run Disk Utility from the DVD. Post back the results.

And please do not cross post or double post. Once is enough - be patient for the answer.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did he give you a reason why?

As for your DMG issue, right click a DMG and select "Get Info". Under the "Open With" section, I'm going to assume that the program listed is "Disk Utility". Change that to "DiskImageMounter" (should be in that list). If it's not in that list, you can find it /System/Library/CoreServices. Once DiskImageMounter is selected in that list, click the "Change All..." button.

OP
M
Reaction score
withoutcocres

Well I figured out how to change the Open With to DiskImageMounter. The repair guy didn't get a detailed explanation as to why the transfer didn't work.

I'm still looking to get a HD but not sure how to install it and get my OS, software like Word,Excel etc. and data files over to the new HD.

One guy recommended an OWC drive with a kit that would "clone" my current HD for easy install:

DIY KIT: 500GB 7200RPM HD for MacBook,... (OWCYST9500420AS) at OWC

Would this HD fit into my macbook pro? I bought it in late 2007 so it's not the Unibody. It'll fit just fine right?

Another drive I've been offered by a guy on Craigslist (brand new in box) is a Seagate 500 gig drive for $70. I'm not sure if it has the "Cloning" option which would make it easy for copying my OS & files to install into my macbook pro though. Do all HDs have this easy Cloning option or is it a rare feature only found in some HDs?

BTW, I didn't mean to double post my question before. Maybe when I clicked Refresh or something it did that.

thanks for the advice!

Phil

OP
M
Reaction score
HD problem

By the way, regarding my check disk issue, I don't think I have the original OS disks for a couple years ago anymore. Not sure what to do about that.

If I do "Clone" / Copy my files over to a new HD though perhaps my problems with any bad sectors would be taken care of?

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok I just ended up buying an actual Apple Mac 500 HD that had been previously in a new macbook pro. It already has Snow leopard installed.

I told him about the other OWC Express Silver (Seagate) 500GB drive. This drive had an easy Clone kit that Michael mentioned:

DIY KIT: 500GB Seagate Momentus XT 720... (OWYST95005620AS) at OWC

However, I just was told that with this other Carbon Copy free download I can do the same Cloning onto my new Apple drive:

Carbon Copy Cloner - Home

Lastly, I'm told I need to buy and "Enclosure" to put the new drive in and be able to transfer / clone the files.

He also said that because the 500 GB Apple drive he sold me already has Snow Leopard on it, it MIGHT be able to just Copy my Office (Word & Excel) programs over to the new drive and it could work. I'm not sure if that is the case. However, if my few software programs I have can just be transferred over like that then I could Copy the rest of the files over as well.

Does that make sense? If it doesn't work as easy as the other OWC Express Silver (Seagate) 500GB drive that has the Cloning kit then I need to call this guy right away and see if he'll take it back before trying to do the install.

Thanks for any advance,

Phil

OP
M
Reaction score
Getting proper Enclosure for new 500 GB HD

So this local store has this enclosure which is 2.5 SATA and USB 2.0 which my 2007 macbook pro is.

However, I also see in the specs that it's good for up to 200 gb drive which concerns me because the mac drive I'll have in it initially at least is 500 gb. After I transfer the data which is less than 120 gb from my current drive over to it then I'll use my old 120 gb drive in the enclosure as a back up.

This is the specs for this enclosure:

2.5inch IDE or SATA USB2.0 iMicro

Brand: iMicro
Model: IM25COMBO-BK
All aluminum design
Supports 2.5 SATA&IDE HDD upto 200GB
Plug and Play & Hot-swappable connection
External Interface: USB 2.0
Internal Interface: SATA & IDE

This will work right?

Thanks for any help,
Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.