Vertical Lines On Macbook Pro Unibody. Advice?. (Pics Attached)

Reaction score
Hi All ,

my macbook pro (unibody mid 2009 model) has now got vertical lines on the display there is also a small dent in the top casing of the laptop and where that dent is is where the lines start (from bottom till top of screen).

I want to know if possible if this is a hardware fault or something to do with the graphics drivers ect. Also if it is a hardware fault what actually needs replacing?.

When I press the screen it does not appear to be broken (no ink blurr) and the laptop is fully working

here is a quick snap.
Zi6_9212.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hi,
To find out if it is the graphics card or some problem with the screen you will need to hook up your MBP to an external screen if you have one.
If the picture on the external screen is ok, then the screen has a problem.
If it also shows on the external screen then you know that the graphics card is at fault.

OP
B
Reaction score
How could I do this if I only have VGA cables?

edit : Dont think its possible as i dont have the mini dvi connecter or what ever you need lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Yeah, you will need the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter to test it.
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

You could always take it to an apple store and have them check it out.
If it is the graphics card you will want them to fix it anyway as the whole mother-board will have to be replaced.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with McYukon. If you can get the Adapter and give it a try.

I have a feeling though it's the display. Do you know how that dent got in the top?

OP
B
Reaction score
Rather arestan

I have no idea nobody in my household would admit to damaging it so no clues may have bumped into something or something dropped on it. Im not sure the dent is barely noticeable but it is in the exact same positions as the lines.

I really cant afford an expensive repair at the moment do you guys know approx how much it would be if it was a motherboard/graphics card issue or how much it would be if it was a display issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@BearTrap1

You actually do not need an external monitor to test. Just take a screen shot of the display with the lines. If the lines show up on the screen shot, then it's a graphics problem, if not, it's the display itself.

I'm betting on the display. The dent and lines together are no coincidence.

OP
B
Reaction score
byproduct succbers

I took a screenshot of the desktop and when I viewed the picture there the lines did not show and the desktop screenshot showed nothing out of the ordinary.

So this means its likely to be a screen issue?. Would it be an issue with the glass on the screen or the whole screen unit.

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, it sure looks like it's the display that's damaged. (Not the outside glass.) Actually it's less expensive to replace the display than the graphics adapter because the GPU is surface mounted to the logic board.

Here's some options for you to consider:

1. Repair it yourself. Buy the display, follow instructions and change it out. Info at iFixit: The free repair manual. They have the displays and also step by step instructions that you can download.

2. Have Apple or an authorized Apple dealer do it. More costly. If you decide to go this route, get an estimate first.

OP
B
Reaction score
the machine has been through a couple of owners and I dont have any warranty information and the serial number says limited warranty. if I go to the store what would I need to bring asides from the machine?

Does anyone know the rough cost to fix broken display from a 3rd party repair shop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the machine is out of warranty, it doesn't matter, just take it on in. As long as you can pay, they don't care...

I would guess around $400 for parts and labor, maybe more since you have a Unibody. I'm thinking the entire top display housing has to be changed out on the Unibody models since it's a single unit. Anyone know for sure?

OP
B
Reaction score
I also want to ask a question about the warranty. It appears the laptop is still under apples 1 year limited warranty , my issue is that can I really just take the laptop into the store and providing that they verify its under warranty I will get the laptop fixed just like that or is there more to it than that? (with me not being the original buyer and have no receipts or anything like that)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. I guess I misunderstood your first question about the receipts. I don't believe you'll need a receipt because Apple records every purchase by serial number and the date of original purchase. They will look up the SN and determine its warranty status.

However, be warned... as soon as they see the dent, they're going to refuse to repair it under warranty or Apple care. Accidental damage is not covered. And believe me, they will not miss the dent when they examine the machine.

Back to square one, I'm afraid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.