• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro/Quick Time Play Back Issues.

Reaction score
I am editing video on a Duel Quad Core Mac Pro with a 512 mb Nvidia card and my video play back studders like crazy whenever there are a series of cuts. Sometimes it will just stop playing. I even exported my project as a quicktime movie and still the same terrible performance. The same goes for HD and SD. Initially I thought it was the fact I only have 2gb of memory but I took the same HD .mov file and played it on my Core Duo Mac Book Pro with a 256 card and it played back perfectly. I only have 2gb of memory on the Mac Book Pro too.

So I am totally stumped why I am getting better playback performance from my Lap Top. Please Help. Thanks in advance!

Oh and FCP and Quicktime is completely up to date version wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What else might you have running in the background? Honestly, 2 Gig really is a small quantity in a 8 core Mac Pro, but it should still play back video - does it pop up any kind of warnings on exceeding capabilities on real time playback?

OP
V
Reaction score
What else might you have running in the background? Honestly, 2 Gig really is a small quantity in a 8 core Mac Pro, but it should still play back video - does it pop up any kind of warnings on exceeding capabilities on real time playback?

Nope nothing is running in the back round. No Warnings come up, just the color wheel and after it hangs for a bit I try to restart it and again it hangs or skips. Now its even crashing.

I took the quicktime into Avid and video is playing fine in there. Idk much about AVID but I believe its a separate format. Could this be a quicktime specific issue? Could it have gotten corrupted somehow. What can I do to trouble shoot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you could try to import more video - either log and transfer with footage from an AVCHD camcorder or log and capture from a DV/HDV camcorder and see what how the footage works out.

I assume (hope) you're using a drive separate from your boot drive as a scratch drive (you shouldn't be using your boot drive for media capture/scratch/etc.). If you are using your boot drive and only have 1 drive in your MP, get another SATA drive and put it in one of the other bays, initialize it, and set in Final Cut to use that as a scratch drive.

Another thing you can try is to play the video in Quicktime itself.

There is always a possibility there is an issue with FCP (corrupted install or something), if there is your best bet is to do a full uninstall and re-install the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You may want to run Activity monitor to see what resources are being used. Perhaps that will give a hint at a problem.

I'd also check the logs via the Console.app.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Well I fixed the playback issue. Kind of weird. When I Export a quicktime file to my startup disk drive then it plays back terribly but when I export it to an external HD its okay. I know you shouldn't use your startup as a scratch drive but I didn't know it can corrupt exports?

I am still having the Final Cut issues. When I try editing I get lots of color wheel lag. It seems to get worse since I upgraded to Final Cut 7. Does FCP 7 require more memory then 2gb. I know 2gb is very little for such a powerful processor, but I have just been delaying buying the memory because I never had a issue as I just edit and dont really do a lot of multi tasking btwn FCP, AFX, and etc. I just dont want to order the memory and find out my entire computer is messed up...What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm wondering if maybe there is a problem with your hard drive?

How full is the drive? Also, have you run fix permissions on it lately?

FCP 7 only requires (for sd material) 1gig, min 2gig for compressed HD material, but if using uncompressed HD footage, 4gig.

OP
V
Reaction score
My drive has 80 gigs free. I am editing uncompressed HD. WHen u say min isnt it better to go a little above that. Maybe I should go up to 6 gigs. I will try to edit SD and see what happens.

How do I run fix permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.