My Up Key Won't Scroll Properly

Reaction score
So my problem is that when I'm on an application like firefox with a scrollbar I can only scroll down using the keyboard and i went to keyboard preferences and can't find where the arrow key preferences are located. any help is appreciated thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry about bumping but this is really annoying me doesn't work on like 1/2 my applications and seems like it should be an easy fix but I just don't know what to do

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us which keyboard you're using on what Mac? Also the version of OS X you're running. The more info you supply us, the easier it will be for someone to answer your question.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. First, are you using or have used any kind of keyboard modifier program?

You said it happens with an application like Firefox. Does it happen for instance in this forum? Can you scroll up and down with your mouse or trackpad?

Have you gone into System Preferences, Keyboard, and set everything back to the default? The reason for all this, is we need to determine if the problem is the keyboard itself or software that's causing it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Restored defaults in the process ruined all my custom application shortcuts and it still had no effect. And yes my up scroll will not work on this forum when I use the arrow key (up), however the shortcuts work so like if i press Fn+Up Arrow it will scroll like any normal mac would. All my other arrow keys are working.

Not using any keyboard modifying program.
Yes I can scroll with my trackpad perfectly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. The only thing I can think of is this....

System Preferences, Keyboard. Select the keyboard Tab. Make sure you do not have a check in the box that says: Use all F1, F2, etc keys....... And also restore all modifier keys back to the default.

OP
J
Reaction score
That was the first thing I tried and it didn't work, also it should be known that the key is in functioning condition (basically i am 100% sure that it is not a problem with the physical key on the keyboard).

Also not only does scrolling up not working but I can't move my cursor up while typing text such as when I was typing this the blinking cursor can only be moved left, down, right and not up.

OP
J
Reaction score
One quick addition if I upgrade to snow leopard will my problem go away? and does upgrading to snow leopard ruin things like my current dock configuration/geektool setup and other addons?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Upgrading to Snow Leopard does not disturb your user settings or applications, however, I'm not sure that's going to solve the problem. But if you were planning on upgrading to Snow Leopard anyway, go ahead.

One thing I forgot to mention before... if you have any extensions or plug ins to Firefox, you might try temporarily removing them to see if that resolves the problem. Sometimes, add ons and plug ins can do funny things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.