2010 MBP "Clinking" sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro i7, 8gb, 500gb @7200rpm, Hi-Res Screen
i (hope) i have attached a sound clip of a weird sound that my macbook makes. it makes the sound when i gently move the macbook although not all the time. it does not seem to be directly related to movement (i.e loose item inside)

normal?

weird?

catastrophic?

View attachment weird sound.band.zip

Reaction score
Couldn't hear the sound, but anyway; does it sound like a marble inside a tin can? It could be the hard drive, unless your HDD is an SSD.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
managed to find a solution, the sound was really hard to describe and i could only find "its probably your hdd" answers but i did manage to find a youtube video showing the problem...

YouTube - re: MacBook Pro creaking noise

the solution mentioned in the comments can be found here...

Ten One Designer's Blog

i did not remove the part, i just put some insulating tape on the point where it touches the bottom of the case.

hope this helps anyone else having this really annoying issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not removing the connector was probably a good move. Never know when something doesn't go right. However, you accomplished the same thing by using insulator tape. I hope though you used a good quality brand of tape. Some cheaply made insulator tapes will "bleed" when they get warm and may lead to sticky stuff getting on the board. Not a good thing.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i did thanks for the heads-up. i'm just a bit peeved that i had to open up my brand new macbook and fix the bloody thing myself!

had to laugh at the apple guy:

me: "my laptop is making a strange sound when i have it resting on my lap..."

him: "well they're not designed to be used on your lap"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.