Unable to activate disk partition. PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Since yesterday my Windows diskpartition is unable to mount!
So earlier I made a Windows partition with Bootcamp, and when I wanted to boot in Windows, i just holded ALT when I booted my macbook, and chose the Windows-partition. When I do this now, it says "an error has occurred, press Ctrl+alt+delete", or something like that (Ctrl+alt+delete doesn't help).

Then I booted in Macintosh, and opened my Disk Utility. There I saw my Windows-partition was GREY instead of black-lettered (=deactivated...).
When I try to activate it, the following error occurres:

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk0s3
at /Volumes/Untitled because the following
problem occurred:

Inode is corrupt (5): Input/output error
Failed to mount '/devrdisk0s3': Input/output
error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run
chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice.
The usage of the /f parameter is very important!
If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID
then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/
mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/pammer/nvidia_eahaabcc1).
Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details.

I really don't know what this means...
Can someone help me please? There are important documents on my Windows partition...

Thank you so much!
Michael

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It simply means your Windows partition is corrupt. What they're saying is to run a FSCK (file system check) on the Windows partition. In Windows, this is known as check disk (chkdsk /f). Since you can't boot your Windows partition, you're unable to run check disk.

I usually recommend folks NOT to use NTFS 3G as it has been known to cause corruption to NTFS file systems. I realize it's free but there are risks when using this free driver. It's better to pay Paragon the $19.95 they're asking for Paragon NTFS and get a stable driver to use.

As for the fix: Open the Boot Camp assistant from OS X, select create partition, select restore. This will remove the BC partition and restore the entire drive back to OS X. Then you can create a new BC partition and reinstall Windows.

You could try booting the machine with your Windows CD and attempt to repair the Windows partition from the CD, however, this method is not for the feint of heart, and can do damage to your OS X partition if you're not careful. I believe you'll be better off starting over.

OP
M
Reaction score
It simply means your Windows partition is corrupt. What they're saying is to run a FSCK (file system check) on the Windows partition. In Windows, this is known as check disk (chkdsk /f). Since you can't boot your Windows partition, you're unable to run check disk.

I usually recommend folks NOT to use NTFS 3G as it has been known to cause corruption to NTFS file systems. I realize it's free but there are risks when using this free driver. It's better to pay Paragon the $19.95 they're asking for Paragon NTFS and get a stable driver to use.

As for the fix: Open the Boot Camp assistant from OS X, select create partition, select restore. This will remove the BC partition and restore the entire drive back to OS X. Then you can create a new BC partition and reinstall Windows.

You could try booting the machine with your Windows CD and attempt to repair the Windows partition from the CD, however, this method is not for the feint of heart, and can do damage to your OS X partition if you're not careful. I believe you'll be better off starting over.

Oke many thanks! I guess that's the only solution. I lost everything though, but I'm still living and I'm a healthy person:)

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.