Macintosh Snow Leopard: Terminal Problem

Reaction score
I've been having trouble and problems for a while, due to the fact that my Terminal does not work properly. When ever it's opened, I get this strange error that I haven't been able to find the cause of such.

login: illegal option -- D
usage: login [-pq] [-h hostname] [username]
login -f [-lpq] [-h hostname] [username [prog [arg ...]]]

[Process completed]

It does not allow me to access the Terminal afterwards, because it cancels out the ability to type into it. This happens on any program using a console or Terminal. Help?

I have a Macintosh OSX 10.6.4: Snow Leopard

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Macintosh OSX 10.6.11: Snow Leopard

Are you certain of that? Snow Leopard is only up to 10.6.4 at the moment, with 10.6.5 on the horizon. The only version of OS X that has made it to 10.x.11 is Tiger (10.4).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The error seems to indicate an issue with your user's profile. Try booting to single user mode after creating a new user. Compare that user's profile to yours and find out where the -D flag was set.

OP
M
Reaction score
Could you dumb what you said down a bit? I'm not very good, nor am I a fan of, Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Most of what you'd need to do would require terminal. Anyway try this - open terminal - then go to the Terminal Pulldown -> Preferences -> Startup -> Shell opens with command -> set it to /bin/bash and see if it will start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Download onyx
Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Let it do its thing - to check your disk
When it is finished checking your disk - click on Parameters -> finder -> show hiddden files and folders
Open Finder then go to your home directory. You will see a whole pile of more files - they should all begin with a . (that's a dot which connotes hidden files in unix worlds)
Make a temp directory and move all those hidden files into that temp directory.
Start up terminal
If that works - then you can use grep to search through those hidden files for this -D option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Have you tried calling Apple?

OP
M
Reaction score
No I have not. I was actually hoping someone here could help be get this fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.