iMac 27" Screen CRACKED!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
3 days ago I noticed a crack on my iMac about the size of a 50 cent/2p coin. It looks to of gotten bigger over the last 3 days which would make sense as there is a lot of vibration from music in my room. I do have Applecare but does it cover accidental damage? It was caused by my tall cup of hot chocolate falling over and the tip hitting the screen (fortunately it was empty) but I didn't even notice till about 20 mins after it had happened. I have looked on Apple's website and have read the Applecare booklet however I can not see anything about what to do when I need a hardware repair. Will I have to take it into an Apple store or will they send someone out to me? Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
We don't have a 50cent coin in the US, so not sure how big that is..:)

Seriously though, accidentally hitting the screen and causing a crack is almost akin to the damage being caused from spilling liquids, it isn't a manufactured defect or a defect that arises from "normal" care of the product..

Apple is not going to be obligated to fix this screen and it's fairly hard of saying how a crack occurred on the screen all by itself without something actually hitting it..

You can always try your luck by taking the iMac to the Apple Store and see what they say, worse comes to worse, you're going to learn how much it's going to cost to fix the screen out of pocket..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
We don't have a 50cent coin in the US, so not sure how big that is..

Regards

C'Mon...I know there aren't a ton in circulation but surely you've seen a Ben Franklin 50 cent piece and definitely a JFK piece...I still see them frequently....

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm...I actually haven't..I've seen the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins, but never a 50 cent..didn't even know that it was ever produced..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Mint

Accidental damage is not covered by the Apple warranty or extended warranty (Apple care). You're probably going to have to pay to replace the display. I'm sure it's going to be expensive because of the size of the display alone. I suggest you contact Apple and get a rough estimate of the cost first.

Also, unless you have some kind of contract to have your machine repaired on site or in your home, it's up to you to haul it on in to Apple.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since the 27" LED Cinema display is up for $999, I have to imagine that replacing your screen while not costing $999, can't be too much cheaper than that...

Regards

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
Thanks for the replies. The crack is only in the black border going round. I have gone over it with a permanent marker and it is now very difficult to even notice. My only concern now is if the crack will get bigger? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Time will tell. Keep using it and keep fingers and toes crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks for the replies. The crack is only in the black border going round. I have gone over it with a permanent marker and it is now very difficult to even notice. My only concern now is if the crack will get bigger? :\

It's actually a really quick and easy process to replace.. and the price isn't bad at all IMO… here's a link to the replacement glass for $149.

The replacement would take you less than 2 minutes … if you are slow. :)

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
It's actually a really quick and easy process to replace.. and the price isn't bad at all IMO… here's a link to the replacement glass for $149.

The replacement would take you less than 2 minutes … if you are slow. :)

Thanks very much! That is exactly what I wanted to find. When you say it is an easy job to do I fail to see how it can be. I mean the glass that is on it now for instance, do I just go ahead and rip it off? Then would I just glue the new screen on? I would of thought that it is far more complicated than that and perhaps needs special equipment. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks very much! That is exactly what I wanted to find. When you say it is an easy job to do I fail to see how it can be. I mean the glass that is on it now for instance, do I just go ahead and rip it off? Then would I just glue the new screen on? I would of thought that it is far more complicated than that and perhaps needs special equipment. :p

There couldn't be an easier fix… When I first did it/figured it out I was astonished at how simple it is/was..

The downside? That knowledge makes the iMac seem a little less impressive IMO…

Without further adieu: KNOWLEDGE

Tell me… is that not crazy easy!!!??? lol

Any suction cup will do.. I used the suction cup from my GoProHD camera that is only about 6" across.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Actually you will just need 2 large suction cups and then you can theoretically lift it right off. From what I heard it is head in place by large magnets.
Installing iMac Intel 27" Display - iFixit

Edit: Whoops, to slow :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the crack is just to the outside glass protector, then the replacement job as RIDE points out is inexpensive (compared to replacing the entire display) and can be done by you. The suction cups mentioned by McYukon are a must.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.