Do these webpages work on Mac? They aren't for me...

pbb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very new to Macs, so it may be that I am making mistakes.

I was trying out two demo pages on a MacBook Pro (OS X Snow Leopard), the producer guaranteed me they work on a Mac, but I can't get them to work (at least not fully).

The pages are at http://media01.smartcom.no/Microsite/smartcomtv.aspx?eventid=4837 and http://www.regjeringen.no/nb/lyd_bilde/tv.html?id=600200

The first page uses Microsoft Windows Media and is supposed to show a slideshow in synch with the video. While Flip4Mac works great by showing the video (in it's own QuickTime window), the slides won't change for me. I have a feeling this would not be possible either, but since the producer states the page is fully functional on a Mac, could somebody with more knowledge tell me if I am doing something wrong?

The second page is mainly a Flash element. However, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get the videos to play on a Mac. Just nothing happens when I click the play arrow. This one has got me puzzled more, but maybe the video inside the Flash file is still using a Windows-only codec? Again, could someone more at home on a Mac please confirm that the videos won't play?

Thanks a lot for any help! Even though I am not the best Mac-user, I want to at least make sure we create stuff that can be used by Mac-users!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I got the second page to work OK but the first one gives me an error: "Missing Plug in". Yeah, looks like you're missing codecs. You might need to download Flip4Mac and Perian. Install them and try again. Both are free.

OP
P

pbb

Reaction score
I do have Flip4Mac and Perian installed, I even re-installed them.

On the first page I do not get any error (using Firefox) but the video opens in a QuickTime window, instead of playing "embedded". Should it be able to play embedded with Flip4Mac installed?

When you say that you got the second page to work, do you mean you also got the videos to play? Because I got the whole (Flash-based) navigation to work, just cannot play the videos...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the 2nd page using 10.5.8 Leopard on an iMac G5 iSight, worked perfectly. Videos player using latest safari with Perian and Flip4Mac installed.

1st page would not work in Safari no matter what I did.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My results are the same as dtravis7. Couldn't get the first page to play the video (using Safari 5.02), but the second page worked fine, videos and all - again using Safari.

OP
P

pbb

Reaction score
Ah, I found out why the second page wouldn't play the video for me. It was Glimmer Blocker that was blocking the video stream!

The first video, I manage to play using Firefox. On Safari I also get the "missing plugin" error message.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.