Have you ever seen this happen to a Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
xm34id.jpg

I've had it since 2007 and it's never given me an issue until today when I turned it on and I got this weird thing. It's like a bunch of squiggle grids and gives me the error to restart. Well, I restart and it's the same thing over and over! Sorry for the crap pic I took it with a cellphone. HELP PLEASE!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Uploaded a YouTube video of the error here YouTube - Macbook Pro 15" Bootup Error

I watched your video...what you're experiencing is a "kernel panic". Kernel panics very often are associated with a hardware problem. Many times kernel panics can are caused by "bad" ram...but in those cases there are no video issues.

Since you're having a video issue...there may be something faulty with your computers video hardware. Unfortunately...there's not a whole lot you can do to repair video hardware on a laptop...other than replacing the logic board which is VERY expensive.

The only other thing I can suggest is...try booting your computer from the "gray" disks that came with your computer (or an OS install disk is if you have it). If you have "gray disk #2"...you can boot your computer with it, when starting up hold down the "D" key to run the hardware test program.

This could help determine if you're having a hardware or software issue. If you boot from the CD/DVD and you still get the kernel panic message (the box in the middle of the screen written in a few different languages telling you you need to restart)...then it most likely a hardware issue.

- Nick

p.s. Just for the heck of it...you could remove your computers ram, and then reseat/reinstall it...start up your computer & see if you still have the problem. If you have more than 1 stick of ram installed...you could remove the ram & test one stick at a time to see if one of your ram sticks/modules are bad. This is a long shot...but worth a try just in case.

OP
N
Reaction score
I watched your video...what you're experiencing is a "kernel panic". Kernel panics very often are associated with a hardware problem. Many times kernel panics can are caused by "bad" ram...but in those cases there are no video issues.

Since you're having a video issue...there may be something faulty with your computers video hardware. Unfortunately...there's not a whole lot you can do to repair video hardware on a laptop...other than replacing the logic board which is VERY expensive.

The only other thing I can suggest is...try booting your computer from the "gray" disks that came with your computer (or an OS install disk is if you have it). If you have "gray disk #2"...you can boot your computer with it, when starting up hold down the "D" key to run the hardware test program.

This could help determine if you're having a hardware or software issue. If you boot from the CD/DVD and you still get the kernel panic message (the box in the middle of the screen written in a few different languages telling you you need to restart)...then it most likely a hardware issue.

- Nick

p.s. Just for the heck of it...you could remove your computers ram, and then reseat/reinstall it...start up your computer & see if you still have the problem. If you have more than 1 stick of ram installed...you could remove the ram & test one stick at a time to see if one of your ram sticks/modules are bad. This is a long shot...but worth a try just in case.

I put in the startup disks and did what you said, but my Macbook ate the disk and it still has that weird grid. It did nothing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put in the startup disks and did what you said, but my Macbook ate the disk and it still has that weird grid. It did nothing.

What the heck do you mean by "ate the disk"!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I inserted the disk and when I press eject it won't come out! It's stuck in there.

To get the disk out of the drive...restart the computer & hold down the trackpad button...the disk should pop out.

What disk(s) did you use. Were they "gray" disks...or an OS install disk? If it was a gray disk(s)...did these disks come with the computer...or did you "source" them in some other way?

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
To get the disk out of the drive...restart the computer & hold down the trackpad button...the disk should pop out.

What disk(s) did you use. Were they "gray" disks...or an OS install disk? If it was a gray disk(s)...did these disks come with the computer...or did you "source" them in some other way?

- Nick

These were the original gray tiger disks and I did that but it'sw still not coming out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I actually have seen this before. The grid wasn't quite as elaborate, but similar. The RAM suggestion was a good one. I managed to fix the macbook pro in question by replacing the RAM modules, which apparently caused a video processing aberration. However, it apparently was a temporary fix as the video capabilities died completely about 4 months later. I don't know if it is possible, but the video issue seemed to kill the RAM or vice-versa...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
xm34id.jpg

I've had it since 2007 and it's never given me an issue until today when I turned it on and I got this weird thing. It's like a bunch of squiggle grids and gives me the error to restart. Well, I restart and it's the same thing over and over! Sorry for the crap pic I took it with a cellphone. HELP PLEASE!

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues
Trust me you are good with this link. I have done this with 2 MacBooks I bought locally with this same problem. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G4 533Mhz, 2010 MBP 13" Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 350M GPU, 250GB HDD.
my friend had a similar thing happen to his MBP, like said above he had the logic board replaced, fixed the issue but emptied his pockets.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.