Apple MacBook (MB466LL/A) (13.3", 2GHz, 160GB, 4GB Ram) UPGRADE

Reaction score
I know I have seen the answer to this a bunch of times, I just want someone to answer what the reason is.

Why can't I up my CPU to 2.53GHz? I looked at the laptops size and mine is even bigger. So whats the problem? Or is there a way and I just have not found it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Because the CPU is soldered fast to the system board. You could, in theory, replace it if you had a $20,000K SMD workstation and the skill to desolder hundreds of pins without burning out other components. But in reality, it's a lot more cost effective just to upgrade to a faster model.

As a general rule of thumb, you have to jump a CPU family or double the clockspeed to really notice a discernible difference.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can't overclock or upgrade your CPU. The CPU is soldered to the logic board by a machine and it has thousands of pins. Good luck trying to unsolder that. >_>"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Regardless, I'm not sure what you do with your machine, but the only time a 500MHz difference is going to be a big deal is if you're doing things like doing 3D modeling and an extra 10 seconds of render time is a HUGE deal.

Even if you're gaming, the GPU makes a much bigger difference in performance than the CPU does.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks that was just what I needed. I finally get it now. Thanks again guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.