Hot temperatures when Gaming on macbook pro 15in

Reaction score
So i would like to buy civilization 5 to run on my windows side in boot camp. Whenever i do play the demo it gets extremely hot and a program reading of the cpu and gpu temp seems to reach around 70-75 celsius. What your guys' thoughts on the matter? Could i be doing damage to my machine playing games on my macbook pro while the temps are so high? maybe its normal, i dunno. please let me know with any advice. I appreciate it, thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My now 4 yr old MBP has gone through a great many 4-8 hour sessions of running at 85-90C playing WoW and others.

Reaction score
Ive heard it's normal, but I still don't feel comfortable leaving it to run so hot for so long. I was using 'SMC fan control' and ramping it up to maximum (6500rpm) when i was doing movie editing or something intensive. Now I just use 'Fan Control' and have set the minimum for both bars, I am considering getting a cooler to keep it on with fans that I could turn on if necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Your MBP is going to get hot playing games. Games are intensive applications so it's going to make your computer work harder. If it's uncomfortable to you then you can get a cooling pad. If you don't hear your fans going then you should be concerned at that point. TattooedMac's thread is a good read so I won't repeat it here.

I think many people underestimate how hot computers can get when they are used intensively. Since we are physically close to laptops we notice the heat more often because I hardly ever hear people concerned about their desktops even though they can run just as hot or even hotter.

A person's physical discomfort is usually the biggest concern.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeppers, it didn't take me long to know I needed a laptop stand if I was going to be gaming for any length of time with is sitting in my lap. Other than semi-permanent red marks on your legs and possibly blocking the flow of air if you're not careful (which I am), then there have been no ill effects that I can see. My 4 yr old machine with upgrade to a 7200rpm drive and Snow Leopard runs faster now than the day I brought it home.

I believe in using and abusing my electronics the way I want to and let's see if they can take it. The MBP has withstood the test. This is the first computer I've owned that has been my primary machine for longer than 12-18 months. And my first computer was in '81.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I highly recommend a cooling pad- there are versions that are good for both lap and desk, and have 2 fans. This reduced the temp on my 13 inch when editing photos and video enough to make me not freak out. Mine is from targus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.