MacBook Pro Speakers not working!

Reaction score
My internal speakers on my MacBook Pro are randomly not working.
The weird thing is that when I plug in my headphones into the audio jack, I hear everything fine.

I have a 15" MBP that is the generation just before the newer unibody MacBook Pros.

Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you saying when you plug in your headphones that you get sound from the speakers as well as the headphones? And, when unplugged, the speakers are randomly working? If so, the audio jack is not working right.

If your machine is still under warranty or Apple care, you might want to make an appointment with the genius bar and have it checked out.

OP
L
Reaction score
Are you saying when you plug in your headphones that you get sound from the speakers as well as the headphones? And, when unplugged, the speakers are randomly working? If so, the audio jack is not working right.

If your machine is still under warranty or Apple care, you might want to make an appointment with the genius bar and have it checked out.

i am saying that only my headphone jack works and speakers do not work at all. i am out of warranty, so kind SOL if i dont figure it out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look into your headphone jack. Is there a red light showing that you can see?

If the red light is on, it means the headphone jack is stuck in digital mode and will only allow sound thru the headphones. You can try to reset it by using a strong toothpick or the headphone male jack itself. Let us know.

OP
L
Reaction score
Look into your headphone jack. Is there a red light showing that you can see?

If the red light is on, it means the headphone jack is stuck in digital mode and will only allow sound thru the headphones. You can try to reset it by using a strong toothpick or the headphone male jack itself. Let us know.

Nope. No light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just a thought the volume setting can be muted for both headphone and speakers seperately I assume you already tried the volume mute on off and volume up and if so did you look in System Preferences under sound under output and make sure its on internal speakers and not Soundflower 2ch/16 ch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.