Do I need 8gb of RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2 GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram, iPhone 3GS, 160gb iPod
Hi, just looking for some advice. I'm about to buy a new Macbook Pro and I'm trying to work out whether I need to stretch my budget and upgrade the RAM from 4gb to 8gb - as I can't really work out whether I need it.

I'll be using the Macbook for uni. I run a lot of processor heavy applications simultaneously and my current mac mini just can't hack it, plus I want the portability a mac book offers.

Applications I use and would have running are Photoshop, Illustrator, Google Sketchup, Parallels running Windows and then AutoCAD, plus probably the usual itunes, Mail, Safari etc etc.

I'm guessing I probably do now that I've just written it all down - and I probably shouldn't be running them all at once!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
More RAM is always better. [/2¢]

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice: Buy the MBP with the standard memory and hard drive. Later on if you need more HD space and more memory, you can do the upgrades yourself. Both are easy upgrades on the new MBP and do not void your warranty. Another reason to do the upgrades yourself is the money you save from having the memory or a larger HD installed by Apple.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The 4GB of memory should be able to handle all your applications with NO problems..and if you DO feel like you need to upgrade, then as @chscag said, do the upgrade yourself and save a good chunk of money...

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.