How to instal Mac OSX remotely

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a new HardDrive(SATA) for my MacBook, only to discover that my SuperDrive is not working properlly. is there any way i can install OSX on my new HardDrive(SATA) without having to buy a new SuperDrive?
Thx for the help.
TAVO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
If you have another Mac nearby you can make a disc image of your OSX install disk and then restore the image onto an external hard disk using Disk Utility. Make sure the external drive is formatted with the GUID partition table and with HFS+ Journaled.

Then put the drive into your Macbook and hold down Option and choose the external drive to boot from. Or you can use a program like SuperDuper which is free to clone your current OSx install onto the new drive, put the new drive into your Macbook and you sill be able to start up just like you left off.

OP
T
Reaction score
can u do that with a flash drive or do i need an external hardrive to puit the disk image on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Yea you can use a flash drive as long as its big enough to store the entire OS image restore on there. I think you'd need a stick with at least 8GB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.