Updating Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just joined the forum after realising how much knowledge there is on here, and how little of it I have!

My first problem is updating my Mac Book Pro to OS 10.6.4 from its current version, 10.4.11. in order to be able to use Final Cut Pro Studio.

I am wondering if I will have to re-install all software when I update? I have hard copies of Microsoft Office, but am not sure I have the originals of all software - as the computer is second hand.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I upgraded from 10.5.x to 10.6.0 when Snow Leopard came out and I didn't have to re-install any of the applications..all the incompatible applications failed to load, but that's something else..

Regards

OP
G
Reaction score
Installing Mac OS X

Things just got complicated.

I've just re-started my Mac Book Pro to upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.1.

There was a message saying the computer could not install it.

To complicate things, I've been running my Mac off an external monitor as the screen has cracked quite badly - which, although it showed the initial message, is not showing the subsequent one. Meaning I can't tell what I'm supposed to do next....

I can see enough of the message on the cracked screen to tell that's it's asking me to Restore to Backup. But I can't read anything else....

Any suggestions as to what I do now?????

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you by chance using a grey install disc? If the install disc is grey and didn't come with your machine, it won't work. You need a retail disc (such as the one here).

Reaction score
I am dealing with the same thing, I am running 10.4.11 and I am wanting to go to snow leopard. I have a disk that is not gray, looks just like yours, but it says that I need to at least 10.5 to install this upgrade. So I am looking on here to try and see if anyone else has run into this problem. I am trying to look for a copy of tiger to uninstall it and run my snow leopard disc.... Idk, looking for help. I read on Apple's site that the only way to do it is buy the box set for 125 or whatever. But I would rather not do that.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, btw FIRST POST! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Oh, you need to back up your data within 10.4, and then insert the disc into your computer. Start up the machine from the disc by holding the C key. Hold it down until the screen changes to an OS X looking screen rather than the apple logo. Probably will be a minute and a half. This will boot from the disc. Instead of continuing with the on screen installer, go to the menu bar where it says "Utilities." Open Disk Utility. Format and erase your hard disk. Should format it to HFS + (Mac OS Extended - journaled). Then go back and install mac os X from the main installer menu that you booted to. That will give you a fresh installation of Snow Leopard with no data from your previous installation. You can't archive and install from 10.4.11.

Reaction score
okay cool, I will deff try that. One more thing, will I loose garage band when doing this? I head that it is possible that it will happen. And is there anyway to back up my files while doing it this way other than dragging and dropping onto my external hard drive? I appreciated that quick response, as I am trying to get everything up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
And I held down the "c" for ever and nothing happened. Sorry, is there more detailed instructions that I am missing that might otherwise be common knowledge???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you actually read vansmith's post?

Reaction score
Yeah I did, no big deal anymore guys. I did have a retail disc, did not want to work still so I bit the bullet and bought the box set. Very happy with that decision. Now running office 2010 and win7 in boot camp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.