Dvd burning why so slow?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm wondering why burning dvd's or any cd for that matter is so much slower on a Mac? Is it the drive or the software? If it's the software can anyone suggest a program (paid or free) that I can use to burn as fast as my PC?
It usually takes about 3-5mins to burn one standard movie to DVD, whereas on my mac it can take anywhere up to 30mins.
What's the deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Is it burning at the speed your DVD drive is rated at? If not then it could be the brand of discs you are using. I've noticed that Mac optical drives can be picky about which discs it can use. I've used discs that will only burn at the slowest speed even though it's rated for higher speeds.

You didn't mention which Mac you have but the new Macs burn at 8x which shouldn't take a 30 minutes to burn a whole DVD. It usually takes me about 5 minutes. Unless you have an older Mac with a slower DVD drive then I'm guessing your problem is the brand of disc you are using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.