Macbook Pro wont start up, and is making beeping noises

Reaction score
My Macbook pro will not start up. I had to force shut off because the whole computer froze, and now it will not start up. The screen doesn't even turn on, it stays black. After a few seconds of trying to turn it on, it makes a beeping noise like "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP...BEEP, BEEP, BEEP...BEEP, BEEP, BEEP". It will keep on making that same noise with blank screen till I hold the power button and turn it off.

What could possibly be why, and how can I fix it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the beeping occurs in a set of 3 beeps...I believe that means something is wrong with the ram.

The first thing to try is remove the ram, and reseat it. If that doesn't solve the problem...have you installed new ram recently? If so, maybe you're using incompatible ram. Lastly...if you did not install any new ram...maybe your existing ram went bad in some way.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Safe boot

I could not start my MacBook Pro. All that happened was that I ended up on a grey screen with the apple and the swirl. To start the MacBook Pro, I did a safe boot. What this means is that as soon as I started the MacBook, I pressed 'SHIFT' and 'COMMAND' and the letter 'v' during start-up. It's the only thing that worked. I hope this helps you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I could not start my MacBook Pro. All that happened was that I ended up on a grey screen with the apple and the swirl. To start the MacBook Pro, I did a safe boot. What this means is that as soon as I started the MacBook, I pressed 'SHIFT' and 'COMMAND' and the letter 'v' during start-up. It's the only thing that worked. I hope this helps you.

I'm sorry...but a user name like "hatemac" isn't going to get very popular in my opinion. ;P

Reaction score
MacBook Pro not starting up.

I took my MacBook Pro to Mac Horizon in Hollywood. They just reset the RAM and that was it. It's been working fine since then.
-Stan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
3rd item from where I suggested you start in the link above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.