Possible to replace a key from 2008 MBP keyboard ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
For some reason, the "N" key on my 2008 aluminum MacBook Pro, has gone and become smudged. Well, the ink has, anyway. It's really odd, but not a huge deal. I would however like to replace it. It also gave me the idea of taking the keys off in general and giving the area under the keys a good vacuum/cleaning.

Can this be done ?

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it can be done. Here's a video from YouTube showing how to remove a key from the keyboard: LINK

Let us know if you're successful. I've got several keyboards including an aluminum external that I would like to clean.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks for that. When I'm feeling brave, I'll give it a shot. I'm going to ask my buddy who works at an Apple store, to look around for an "N" key for me, first.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks for that. When I'm feeling brave, I'll give it a shot. I'm going to ask my buddy who works at an Apple store, to look around for an "N" key for me, first.

Doug

I had to replace the "R" key last year and the "." key just last Friday. Same silver keys as you. Just make a Genius Bar appointment and they'll probably have an extra in the back room. The little plastic clips on the back of the keys break and eventually have to be replaced. Might be worth it to buy a full set on e-bay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.