Help with Wine

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to run a windows program on my mac using Wine. Whenever I try to run the program, it does nothing for a couple minutes and comes up
with:
amanda-c-computer:~ ben$ wine Eq2.exe
err:process:__wine_kernel_init boot event wait timed out
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Eq2.exe"

This happens when trying to install a program or running one that does not need installed. I do not know what it means, I have looked around and some people say to include a $ in front of the application name like "wine $Eq2.exe" or like "wine '$Eq2.exe'"

If I left something out, ask and I will provide it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which Windows program are you trying to run? You might also get some help by visiting the WINE Wiki.

Another solution you might consider to run your Windows program, is to use virtual machine software. VirtualBox from Sun Microsystems is free and works very well. Of course you will need a genuine copy of Windows to use with it.

OP
D
Reaction score
I was trying to run Everquest 2, and I tried other programs and none worked. I looked at the Wine Wiki but nothing there helped, I used this guide to set it up Installing Wine on Mac OS X
If I type "winecfg" it tries to load it, but nothing comes up after 10-15 mins, when I type "wine" it works as intended. Even if I put the installer in the .wine program files, it still doesn't work.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm think you want to play EverQuest 2 on your Mac and it looks like Wine classifies it as "garbage" at WineHQ - Everquest 2 so it might not work well..

Your best bet is probably to run the game under Windows either through boot camp or VM like VirtualBox, Parallels or VMware Fusion..

Regards

OP
D
Reaction score
Is there a program that I can test if Wine works or not, so I can at least use other programs from Windows?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, try Mp3tag - Download a very nice mp3 tag editor for Windows, I currently run this through Wine without any problems..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok, thank you, it works fine. Guess I will need to find another game.

I found very few games to work correctly under WINE. Personally, I wouldn't bother unless the game is real simple requiring no graphic acceleration. Something like a card game - Solitaire.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had very good luck playing a lot of games through Wine..Guild Wars and Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) come to mind quickly as ones that worked well..

But yes, there is NO way of running Crysis-equivalent games through Wine or VM, but it's actually amazing how many games are quite playable through Wine..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.