Airport Extreme worth extra money?

Reaction score
I recently bought an iMac and absolutely love it.

I've been running my wireless network on a Linksys router which by now has worked "okay". By okay I mean it everything is good, but not great. I've got the mac, a laptop, and PC and my PS3 hooked up to it. My complaint is that I only get about a 35-40% connection on my PS3. To be fair, the PS3 is down the hall and around two corners from my router, so it may be more of a function of the distance/configuration than the router itself.

My router just went on the fritz - wireless network is gone, unplugging/plugging it in (which has worked in the past) no longer works. So I need to replace it, and am thinking about replacing it with an Airport Extreme.

So my question is, can I expect the same range/connection amount on my PS3, or does the Airport Extreme typically have better/stronger range? I won't necessarily use all the extra features on the Extreme, I pretty just need a router for the wireless network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Yes agree it has died or on the way out as that is a sure sign of failure. Airport Extreme is really just another router and any good brand 8011 'n' router will do the trick. Do not think Apple routers are that much, if any better, than other leading makes so shop around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Agree with harryb2448. It is a very nice router, but not necessary unless you plan on using the other features that the cheaper routers don't have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.