im pretty sure if apple makes one itll be top notch
thats probably y they have been waiting so long

i dont know, i guess im just hoping and speculatiing
what do you think
should i buy the 20g or wait for a possible video

OP
B

badmojo

Although Steve Jobs has denied any possible existence for an iPod 'video', anything's possible these days. My hunch is Apple won't release any new iPod products anytime soon. They just revamped the iPod line and that's probably their move for the rest of the year. Futhermore, I, personally, would not want to watch video on the iPod screen. My old eyes would pop out of my head.

Reaction score
I agree completely with badmojo. Not only do I not think Apple will release another iPod, but even if they were, I would not wait for it. Watching a video is the last thing I want to do with my Pod. Go for the new 20GB.

The same thing with me goes for the PSP. My friend has one, truth it may be a neat machine with many features, but there is no way I would utilize half of it's abilities. I would never listen to music on it [leave that for the iPod], I would never watch movies on it. I certainly do not want to sit down for 2 hours and watch a movie on that small of a screen.

Good luck with whatever you end up purchasing, but you will love the new 20GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i think you should go with the 20 GB just because i can't see a video ipod anytime soon at all...that would mean apple would have to open an "itunes" "ivideo" like store...lots of time and money

OP
E

Ey3 D

Yeah, I agree that the iPod "video" is definitely happening any time soon. Steve clearly said that Apple was going in another direction and making the iPod Photo. If you say you have a big music collection 20, 30, 60 Gig Photos.

OP
T

Tel

To play a video, the iPod would have to process a lot more information than usual meaning it would have to fill its buffer a lot more often resulting in the hard disk spinning more and the battery running out quicker. Not to mention the fact that they would have to upgrade the processor, increase the buffer and give the iPod a decent 'video card' (for lack of a better word). I don't think they could create a video iPod and keep it competitively priced.

I also don't think there is much of a market for a video iPod, most people who use iPods use them when traveling, and its not easy to watch a movie while walking around. As for using them on planes or trains, if I was to frequently travel on a train or plane long enough to watch a film, I'd just bring my iBook along and get some work done while watching a movie on a decent size screen.

OP
M

mh10190

good point
but im thinkin
y get an ipod over an iriver
im not married to itunes
i dont use aac
iriver has more features
is cheaper
i love ipod but that is because that is all ive known

OP
T

Tel

If you prefer the iRiver, go to a store, check it out in person, if you still like it then there is no reason why you shouldn't get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually I'm going to have to disagree with everyone here...

Apple has just updated the iPod line, but only the basic ones. Over the years they've nearly always had a "premium" pricepoint model as well that is now missing.

First the 20/30/40 GB 2nd/3rd gen model, then the iPod photo 60GB, all around $500,-

I think they'll bring something out around autumn to fill that spot - either a video playing iPod, or something with another revolutionary feature.

Apple has already stated that the current revision isn't the 5th generation, but I don't think it's far off. It will first be the premium model, and by next summer (2006) will trickle down to the regular priced line.

OP
T

Tel

In the long run, if Apple bring out a movie player, I think it will be a lot different to what people are expecting. Maybe a slot loading DVD player, possibly with a hard drive, thats not much bigger than a few DVD's stacked on top of each other and has a 6" or so screen that would be a lot more comfortable to watch movies on than a tiny iPod screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.