shared folder doesn't allow some actions in subfolders

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm new to mac networking, although somewhat experienced in Win and Linux. On an iMac, running OS X 10.5.8 i shared the "Shared" folder in Users folder, so that everybody can use it in the network. Access is Read/Write for "Everybody". I shared this folder also using SMB under a special user, with a SMB password to access it from PCs runnning Windows.

From another Mac (or even the same iMac) I can create/modify a new subfolder in the folder "Shared", let's name it "SubFolder". This "SubFolder" seems to have limited access: a new sub-subfolder can only be created by copying an already existing folder into the "SubFolder", and then the names of any subfolder cannot be changed.

Has it something to do with a special feature of the "Shared" folder in "Users", or did I do something wrong with the access?

Thanks for any help or hints to a solution. I browsed on the Internet and found nothing useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.