Need an app that records audio in/out simulataniously

Reaction score
I am a college student in a journalism class. With the advent of Google Voice and it's new ability to make calls through Gmail, I make most of my interview calls through my computer now to save on cell minutes and long distance charges. This also allows me to call from secluded, quiet areas that don't necessarily have cell reception.

I am wondering if there is an app that will allow me to simultaneously record audio in (me speaking) and audio out (the interviewee speaking) during one of these interview calls. This would pretty much perfect my Google Voice calling system for this particular application.

Any ideas? I've not run into anything yet. Quick time X can't do it as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome aboard Mac-Forums!

QuickTime Pro will do it. I've just run a test of recording my own voice with built-in microphone (eMac), plus iTunes playing in the background. How you might get your respondent's voice to record to your Mac from a Google Voice connection with good quality would be matter of trial and error.

Would you consider using Skype (voice only), with respondent's voice being played through external speakers from the audio out on the Mac, and thence to QTPro in record mode? Quality? Hmm.

You might want to channel all audio to and through a mixer, and then to your Mac, and record it all with QTPro, or an application like WireTap WireTap Studio | Ambrosia Software, Inc..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.