i want to get a smartphone
with a keyboard that is compatible with mac os x
what do u suggest
i need somehting that supports a sim card
email support and aim is desired
thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
he wants a phone that has a sim card, can accept emails over internet via phone, wants to type using his phone and can converse using AIM.

i dont know of a phone that does the keyboard, but with every newst phone has those capabilities..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
get one of those sidekick things....i dont have one but paris hilton dose so its bound to be sweet

OP
K

Kokopelli

I went the convergence device route with the iMate PDA2K. Not quite what you are looking for though. For what you require it is sort of overkill (and not a smart phone).

A couple Questions:
1) What Service Provider do you use? Or alternatively do you want GSM or CDMA?
2) How much are you willing to spend?
3) Is a 3d party solution for compatibility with the Mac acceptable? (Either the Missing Sync or ... the other one... PocketMac?)

If all you need is IM and Mail then the Motorola A630 or 650 series. Alternatively the Nokia 9500 (correction since the 6600 series does not have a keyboard.) or maybe the 7650 should work (provided they work with your carrier.)

EDIT: Sidekick could work too if your provider is GSM based.

P.S. iWonder, that animation is mildly disturbing.

OP
M

mh10190

i forgot to put a coma in the keybaord sentence,my bad
i also want to sync with ical,mail
i need something web enabled
money is no issue
t-mobile is the provider
3rd party software is np, as long as its easy
thats all

OP
A

anjam

mh10190 said:
i would also like bluetooth

I picked up a sony k750i, its not a smart phone as such but just as good in my opinion. its a really sweet design and features a 2 mega pixel camera - its a phone were talking about with a 2 mega pixel camera - as far as im concerned that is just intense. Anyway it syncs pretty well with macs and i highly reccomend it.

OP
M

macaudiodj

iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
get one of those sidekick things....i dont have one but paris hilton dose so its bound to be sweet
Do not get a sidekick they suck!!!!!!! Get a Treo 650 i have one and i love it!!! As soon as u get bored of flipping the sidekick open and shut the phone is useless. btw the BREAK!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Very few smartphones have aim on them. The closest thing to what you are talking about with bluetooth is the blackberry 7290. I haven't tried syncing with my mac completely but it connects through bluetooth and has just about everything else

Reaction score
I too am in the market for a smartphone. I've got my eye on the PalmOne Treo 650 as it's PalmOS based (better for Mac connectivity than PocketPC), has a little keyboard like a Blackberry, and is small enough that I can carry it in my pocket (the most important thing).

Any other suggestions? I've heard good things about the Sony Ericsson P910 series but I'm not sure about their compatibility with Macs as they run the Symbian OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.