iMac and AppleCare

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to buy my first iMac and I have been reading a lot of websites about the AppleCare. It seems I can get it for $135 from Amazon.com and it will extend my warranty for 3-years with onsite service that covers parts and labor charges.

I work in IT so I've never gotten a warranty for any PC as I've never needed one. But I don't know anything about Macs as I've never had one before. A lot of the warranty discussions I've seen state that you should get the AppleCare if you have a laptop, but not if you have a Desktop.

As far as PCs go I can relate to that because a laptop PC is a lot harder to repair then a Desktop PC. So I assume the same must be true for Macs. However, my iMac although it's a desktop, doesn't look like it's going to be very easy to repair. I mean I can't even replace the hard drive without ripping the entire computer apart and causing who knows what kind of damage to the machine.

I've seen youtube videos on how to replace a hard drive in an iMac and it appears there is just too much that can go wrong. I also don't know if I feel safe popping off the huge 21.5'' screen.

As I said, never used a Mac of any kind before so I'm not sure where to go on this. The AppleCare seems to be worth the price in my mind, but I've heard it's a complete waste of money for Desktops and I can't figure out why.

I know that a desktop probably wont take as much damage as a laptop so it's less likely to break, but replacing the parts in a iMac doesn't look like a pleasing job either. In a PC I could do it, in a Mac... idk.

Edit:
One other thing I was having a problem understanding is about the onsite service. Most reviews I read told me to wait until about 10 months after I purchsed the iMac to purchase the AppleCare just to put off the cost until a little later. But if I do that does the standard warranty come with onesite service if my computer breaks before I purchase the AppleCare warranty, and even if I decided to purchse AppleCare during my standard warranty period does that allow me to get onsite service during my first year of the warranty.

Some of these I just didn't find very clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I'm not to sure about the "onsite repair for desktops", since I've always "carry-in" my systems.
But I'm sure you could give apple a call and find out more about that.

But regardless for the 135-169, it's worth the peace and mind.
The iMac is compact and no where near as easy to repair as your standard desktop.

If you can make the purchase right away, then why not. But if you want to save a few bucks then a lot of people wait a few months down the road to make the purchase.

OEM warranty.
1 year limited warranty
90days phone support

Apple Care Plan
3 year limited warranty (from the computers purchase date)
3 year phone support (from the computers purchase date)

I just got my MBP a couple months ago, but I'm waiting till around the 10 month mark to buy the apple care for it because it's 350.00. But I did how ever get it right away for the iMac since it was much more affordable.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks,

I'll try to call Apple again. I called them last night but it was a 35 min. hold time and I didn't want to wait that long. Maybe they are a little slower now, this earling in the morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Ouch, that's a bit long. You could also try calling your nearest apple store. They might know a bit more about it.

I even tried searching around for more information but really all i came up with was. "Onsite repair: Request that a technician come to your work site, for desktop computers".

I'm not sure if the iMac qualities for that, or if there is a charge.

Let us know what you find out.

OP
G
Reaction score
From what I found out onsite repair is only avalible for desktop computers, laptop computers have to be taken in to an Apple Store.

But my problem is, if I buy that AppleCare warranty do I get onsite service for the entire 3 years, or does the onsite service only start with years 2 and 3 because those are the years covered by the AppleCare warranty.

If by signing up for AppleCare you get onsite service right from the start, it might be worth spending the extra money right away, instead of wating until 10 months later.

You get onsite service if there is a apple store within 50 miles of your house. I live 45 miles from the nearest apple store, and through the traffic around here it will take me probably 1.5 hours to get there. So it would be REALLY nice, if they would come to my house.

That is a really good warranty.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I live in the UK so my advice is based on my experience here.

AppleCare has been absolutely vital for me. I've added it to every single Apple product. I have 2 iMacs, an iPod and an iPhone 4.

The telephone service, here at any rate, has been swift and they won't leave you till the problem's fixed. For us, if they can't fix it on the phone, they come & take it away, deliver it back fixed (or brand new if they can't) - all free. Well, as part of what you pay for AppleCare.

And they are happy dealing with idiots like me who needs his hand held a lot. No problem too small.

Lastly, I live 2 hours away from the nearest Apple Store.

In my view, AppleCare is essential.

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
I called Apple a little bit ago but the lady that answered didn't speak English very well at all, and she didn't understand what I was asking.

I told her I haven't purchased the iMac yet and she kept asking me for my serial number.

I'll try calling back again later today and see if I can speak to someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 2.93ghz iMac
In the UK I got such a good deal on the Apple Care warranty it was a no brainer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On site service for Apple computers may be available through some authorized Apple service centers. You need to check with those providers individually, however, to see if there is an additional charge as I don't believe that is covered under normal Apple care.

For example: Best Buy is an authorized seller and service center for Apple products. They do sell a separate extended warranty (different from Apple care) that covers in home service for certain products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
But my problem is, if I buy that AppleCare warranty do I get onsite service for the entire 3 years, or does the onsite service only start with years 2 and 3 because those are the years covered by the AppleCare warranty.

No, that's not your problem. It's not anyone's. AppleCare is a warranty extension. You can wait for 364 days (not recommended) to purchase it, and then you'll have it for another 731 days.* Or, you can purchase it right away. You're covered for three years if you buy it, one year if you don't.

*Alright, alright; unless there's a leap year in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.