Macpro upgrade - is it worth it?

Reaction score
Thought I'd better get some help with this one....

It's time to upgrade my work machine and the budget I have will allow for me to purchase the 2.8 ghz Quad Core 2010 update MacPro machine.

I'm currently running an Ealry 2009 2 x 2.8 ghz Xeon (not nehalem) Quad Core octo MacPro with 8gb ram and the radeon ATA 2600 graphics card.

I'm a straight up graphic designer by trade so no excessive power required for film editing or music etc.

My question is, will the new 2.8 nehalem have better processing/graphics power and any noticeable speed bumps as it is only a quad core as opposed to my current octo?

Basically there will be a new start in the office and the decision needs to be made to either keep the machine I'm running (meaning zero hassle or swap over of accounts and files) or to take the hassle and switch the new machine!

Any help much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well I guess the company auditor will have some input as you will have to consider things such as depreciation, trade in value etc but from a working viewpoint suggest staying where you are as the machine is extremely respectable.

Reaction score
Thought I'd better get some help with this one....

It's time to upgrade my work machine and the budget I have will allow for me to purchase the 2.8 ghz Quad Core 2010 update MacPro machine.

I'm currently running an Ealry 2009 2 x 2.8 ghz Xeon (not nehalem) Quad Core octo MacPro with 8gb ram and the radeon ATA 2600 graphics card.

I'm a straight up graphic designer by trade so no excessive power required for film editing or music etc.

My question is, will the new 2.8 nehalem have better processing/graphics power and any noticeable speed bumps as it is only a quad core as opposed to my current octo?

Basically there will be a new start in the office and the decision needs to be made to either keep the machine I'm running (meaning zero hassle or swap over of accounts and files) or to take the hassle and switch the new machine!

Any help much appreciated :)

Hi and welcome to Mac-Forums!

Sharing my inputs, The current 2008 Mac Pro you have now is more than adequate for your graphic needs. I work in a graphic studio and we have the same model as you have, 2.8ghz Octo Core 2008 model with the default Radeon 2600xt 256mb card. And my boss just bought the new 2010 Quad 2.8ghz Mac Pro with Radeon 5770 1G videocard. After comparing both models and trying out the two models with Adobe apps, I don't see much of a difference in terms of speed in graphic designing specially with Photoshop and Illustrator.

Best you stick with your current 2.8 Octo Mac Pro. This model is actually the best value for your money compared to the 09 and 2010 models. Also the 2010 Quad 2.8 only has 4 slots for your memory and it's more costly to upgrade ram compared to having 8 slots in your 2008 model.

Maybe you can just upgrade your videocard to the Radeon 4870 at 512mb. I read in an apple site that the new 2010 videocard, Radeon 5770 at 1gig also works in the 2008 Mac Pro. Pls note Apple officially does not confirm this card to be compatible.

Here's are some links for reference;

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Radeon 5870 and 5770 on 2008 Mac Pro

Thanks and enjoy your Mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and some good advice, I had more or less assumed the same thing but it's always good to get conformation.

Interesting point about the video card, I'll have a look into it. I think some more RAM may be in order as well!

Also saves me a major job moving over all my accounts etc.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27inch, 3.4GHz Intel Core i5, 28GB DDR3, Yosemite
I too am thinking of upgrading to the new Mac Pro 2010 but didn't know if it's worth it. I have a Dual core G5 that I do love but it runs very slow on Final Cut Pro and forget After Effects. Rendering has become more difficult as time passes by.

I'm assuming that the new Mac Pro will make a huge difference but is it worth the money?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming that the new Mac Pro will make a huge difference but is it worth the money?

In your situation, it will certainly make a difference (upgrading from your G5). But whether or not it's worth it, is something only you can decide. $$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes a G5 is a completely different proposition to a 2009 Mac Pro. Upgrade to a Mac Pro for sure as PPC architecture is as dead as the dinosaurs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.