i5 or i7?

Reaction score
I'll be buying a MacBook Pro 15" at the end of October. However, I'm not sure whether to get the i5 or the i7. What I'm planning on doing is using it for iMovie, Final Cut Express, etc; nothing too intensive. I would personally like to get the i5, as it is about $400 cheaper (I'm in South Korea, if that helps any), than the i7. If I buy the i5, and upgrade it to 8GB of RAM, will it be good enough? Thanks for your help!:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The i5 will do the job, but with the i7 you are getting the 500GB HD and the 330M with 512 MB over the i5 which has the 330M with 256 MB.
Always better to buy the best processor and graphics options you can afford, and upgrade the RAM at a later date (if you find that you need to).
The RAM and HDs are user upgradeable, and it won't void your warranty if you do it, and is cheaper than getting it with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
If you got the cash for the i7, do that.

The i7 MBP is a beast! I love mine!
Now I wish my 27in iMac had an i7... ):

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Any recent computer can do what you are asking but the question is how fast do you want those tasks done? Yes the i7 is faster but is that extra speed worth $400 to you? You might want to search the internet for speed benchmarks between the two processors and see if the extra speed of the i7 is worth it.

Also adding RAM doesn't make your computer run faster it only keeps it from slowing down due to not having enough RAM. You won't know if you don't have enough RAM until you use your computer for the tasks you have mentioned but as said by others you can always upgrade your RAM later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Get the i7, it will keep you from having buyers remorse :) (if you can take an extra $400 hit that is).

My 15" i7 MBP is on the FedEx truck and will be here in less than 2 hours (if the FedEx guy isn't running behind). :D

OP
J
Reaction score
Any recent computer can do what you are asking but the question is how fast do you want those tasks done? Yes the i7 is faster but is that extra speed worth $400 to you? You might want to search the internet for speed benchmarks between the two processors and see if the extra speed of the i7 is worth it.

Also adding RAM doesn't make your computer run faster it only keeps it from slowing down due to not having enough RAM. You won't know if you don't have enough RAM until you use your computer for the tasks you have mentioned but as said by others you can always upgrade your RAM later.

Well, I've looked at the benchmarks, and for me, $400 extra for 10-20% better performance isn't worth it. And yes, I do understand about the RAM not making the computer run faster; here in South Korea, it's fairly inexpensive ($190 for 8GB), so I thought I would get it anyway to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Some on the apple forums have reported problems with NuRam cards.

Try this one instead:

8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3... (OWC8566DDR3S8GP) at OWC

I don't know what your sources are, but I couldn't find anything about it!

Regardless, with OWC:
NewerTech NuRAM Brand Memory (modules, flash)

* Return for refund within: 30 days
* Return for replacement within: Lifetime (to original purchaser with original receipt)
* Restocking Fee: No

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't know what your sources are, but I couldn't find anything about it!

Regardless, with OWC:
NewerTech NuRAM Brand Memory (modules, flash)

* Return for refund within: 30 days
* Return for replacement within: Lifetime (to original purchaser with original receipt)
* Restocking Fee: No

Regarding the RAM, I'm in South Korea. Do you know if the Samsung PC3-8500 RAM is good, or should I wait until January when I am Stateside and buy it from OWC? Thanks for your help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a fan of Samsung, or Toshiba products, but that is just a personal preference, and others may feel otherwise.
That being said, I would get it from OWC or Crucial, but as stated earlier, I would be waiting to see if you need more RAM once you get your new machine.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Samsung, or Toshiba products, but that is just a personal preference, and others may feel otherwise.
That being said, I would get it from OWC or Crucial, but as stated earlier, I would be waiting to see if you need more RAM once you get your new machine.

Thanks 6string for what you've said about the RAM; I will use the computer for a bit first and see if I need the extra RAM. However, can I get a final word between the i5 and i7? As I stated earlier, it's hard for me to justify paying $400 for a 10-20% increase in processor speed. What are your thoughts on that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It really depends on what you're doing as to where you will see the performance gain.
The better graphics is also part of the extra $.
Future proofing is another factor once again.
You can always upgrade the RAM and HD, where as you can't upgrade the processor or graphics chips.
For me, if money weren't an issue, also being that here in Oz it's a $600 price difference between the 2.4GHz i5 and the 2.66GHz i7, I certainly would have gone for the i7, even if I didn't need all the power that it packs.
YouTube - 15 " 2.4 GHz Core i5 vs 2.66 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro Boot Up Showdown!
YouTube - 2.4 GHz Core i5 or Core i7 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro? i5 vs i7 Benchmarks & Which one you should get!

OP
J
Reaction score
It really depends on what you're doing as to where you will see the performance gain.
The better graphics is also part of the extra $.
Future proofing is another factor once again.
You can always upgrade the RAM and HD, where as you can't upgrade the processor or graphics chips.
For me, if money weren't an issue, also being that here in Oz it's a $600 price difference between the 2.4GHz i5 and the 2.66GHz i7, I certainly would have gone for the i7, even if I didn't need all the power that it packs.
YouTube - 15 " 2.4 GHz Core i5 vs 2.66 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro Boot Up Showdown!
YouTube - 2.4 GHz Core i5 or Core i7 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro? i5 vs i7 Benchmarks & Which one you should get!

Yes I totally agree about future proofing; do you think that the i7 will still be a good computer, in let's say two years, or will it be obsolete? I have seen some sites that talk about a new Intel processor, but I'm not sure when that will come to notebooks. If the i7 will be a good computer for awhile, I would lean towards it. As far as what I would use it for, here is what I mainly use:

1. Internet
2. iLife
3. Final Cut Express (will buy soon)
4. VMware Fusion (maybe will do away with that at the end of the year, as I would like to get away from Microsoft altogether)

How much will the extra speed help me with these programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More so in Final Cut.... but will still see a little tweak in everything.
As far as future proofing, even the C2Ds aren't obsolete yet, so I think there are many yrs left on the i-series processors.
Future proofing as far as highest speed and latest processor doesn't only count for personal longevity, but it also factors in resale value.
The i-series processors are still relatively new the the market, so it will be quite some time, until something supersedes them, especially when factoring in affordability and compatibility.
Just look at SSDs as an example. They are priced out of the range for your everyday consumer, especially if you want a reasonable size.
Obviously the choice is yours, but if you can afford to avoid the potential for buyers remorse in anyway whatsoever, that is the road I would go down.

OP
J
Reaction score
More so in Final Cut.... but will still see a little tweak in everything.
As far as future proofing, even the C2Ds aren't obsolete yet, so I think there are many yrs left on the i-series processors.
Future proofing as far as highest speed and latest processor doesn't only count for personal longevity, but it also factors in resale value.
The i-series processors are still relatively new the the market, so it will be quite some time, until something supersedes them, especially when factoring in affordability and compatibility.
Just look at SSDs as an example. They are priced out of the range for your everyday consumer, especially if you want a reasonable size.
Obviously the choice is yours, but if you can afford to avoid the potential for buyers remorse in anyway whatsoever, that is the road I would go down.

Exactly what I am thinking: buyers remorse. I believe you have convinced me regarding the i7. Thanks so much for your help!!! Keep up the good work!!! :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a pleasure, and just remember, it's not about me convincing you, the computer's not for me, and I don't work for Apple.... It's a major expense, and if you can afford to go top end, it is always worth it.
I look at it like cars. Better to get the top of the range of a certain model, then the bottom of the range of the next model up. Would hate to be in the bottom of the range, and have the top of the range pull up next to me at the traffic lights, yet alone be trying to sell the bottom of the range when it comes time to upgrade :)

OP
J
Reaction score
It's a pleasure, and just remember, it's not about me convincing you, the computer's not for me, and I don't work for Apple.... It's a major expense, and if you can afford to go top end, it is always worth it.
I look at it like cars. Better to get the top of the range of a certain model, then the bottom of the range of the next model up. Would hate to be in the bottom of the range, and have the top of the range pull up next to me at the traffic lights, yet alone be trying to sell the bottom of the range when it comes time to upgrade :)

I agree about the convincing; I've weighed what a lot of people have said about the i5 and i7, but what you said was the icing on the cake. It is a major expense, but I am sure that it will pay for itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.