Got an Iphone 4 yesterday VS Android

OP
L
Reaction score
Duh! How did I miss that!

I've had the phone since April and never noticed that before. Thanks a lot!

No problem. I know the in's and outs of the droid pretty much. I had the Motorola Droid before the HTC droid. I have the 3500mah battery for the HTC. Last a very long time.

Man I want to keep both of these. I'm seriously such a nerd that I'm thinking about canceling some other things I have so I can afford both. haha I'm the kinda guy that is thinking one can be my business phone when I don't even have a business.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well, it's not because other people do. It's more of "Trying" it I guess. I've always heard about it so I wanted to try it. I can try it for 30 days and then get out of the contract if I don't like it. There are things I do like about it so far.

I mean I don't know the phone well enough yet so I can't make a decision. I'm gonna give it about 2 weeks and see where I'm at.
Perhaps I misconstrued your first post where you said the following: "Basically I'm asking, as a noob to the iphone, what do I need to do to enjoy this phone? Again, I WANT to enjoy this phone." It sounds there like you are trying to hard to enjoy a phone that you may like but not as much as another one.

OP
L
Reaction score
Perhaps I misconstrued your first post where you said the following: "Basically I'm asking, as a noob to the iphone, what do I need to do to enjoy this phone? Again, I WANT to enjoy this phone." It sounds there like you are trying to hard to enjoy a phone that you may like but not as much as another one.

Yes but I didn't use it any yesterday and just started using it for about a few hours today. So, yes I'm naturally gonna like the android better because I know the ins and outs of it and know nothing about the iphone. But the more I'm playing with the iphone the more I am liking it. I've downloaded quite a few apps so far and I am enjoying it pretty well. It's starting to impress me.

And yes I want to enjoy the phone. Rather I turn it back in or not I want to know what the fuss is about and what all it can do. If it could only do a few minor things I'd be for sure sold on the iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
AT&T didn't offer insurance on it either. They told me to go to state farm or something if I wanted to get insurance on the phone! so if the thing breaks I'm screwed. I mean I could drop it or something and then I'd be stuck paying like 700 dollars for a new phone.

AT&T doesn't offer insurance on the iPhone, it's part of the deal with Apple. If you need help with your phone AT&T will likely tell you to go to Apple. Don't forget, this isn't the traditional phone maker/seller relationship here, Apple holds all the cards. AT&T is allowed to sell the phones only because it uses their network.

That being said, I used my 3G for 26 months without ever having to take it to AT&T or Apple for anything, that's the longest I've owned a phone without breaking it or needing a replacement. I expect the same out of my iP4.

As for the rest of the thread, my advice is to use what you like. If you think Android is better, than go with Android. You're the one who has to live with your choice.

Oh, and as for Navigation Apps, Google Maps works OK on the iPhone, Skobbler is free and seems to work well for me when I need it. I still tend to default to Google though.

OP
L
Reaction score
AT&T doesn't offer insurance on the iPhone, it's part of the deal with Apple. If you need help with your phone AT&T will likely tell you to go to Apple. Don't forget, this isn't the traditional phone maker/seller relationship here, Apple holds all the cards. AT&T is allowed to sell the phones only because it uses their network.

That being said, I used my 3G for 26 months without ever having to take it to AT&T or Apple for anything, that's the longest I've owned a phone without breaking it or needing a replacement. I expect the same out of my iP4.

As for the rest of the thread, my advice is to use what you like. If you think Android is better, than go with Android. You're the one who has to live with your choice.

Oh, and as for Navigation Apps, Google Maps works OK on the iPhone, Skobbler is free and seems to work well for me when I need it. I still tend to default to Google though.

Hey, where do I go to tell how many MB I have used since I am limited to 2GB a month? And also with the wifi on there is nothing that would take my data allowance is there?

OP
L
Reaction score
NEVERMIND I figured that part out. I wish the text messages was not in bubbles. That is super annoying. Whoever thought of that idea...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
The ATT Wireless app allows you to check data usage.

Have you had a hard time with the signal strength on your Incredible? I had the Moto Droid before and signal was excellent in my house. Now that I got the inc it has drastically went down hill :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Yeah, it seems to vary widely depending on the area you're in. Here in Central PA, Verizon easily has the best network. My 3G speeds blow away that of my friends and coworkers on AT&T, showing full strength.

It's weird, I'll turn on my phone and the 3G symbol is just not there in the menu bar at the top. If I open a connected app, it will say there's no connection. I can turn off and back on the 3G radio, but it never comes back on. I just have no connectivity whatsoever until I reboot the phone and then I'm good for a couple of days. I tried wiping and doing a firmware update via the file (rather than the OTA), but the problem persists. Never happened until 2.2 for whatever reason.

So, you got the OTA on the Incredible? When did they finally release that? My Droid 2 came with 2.2, and I never see an issue like yours with the 3G. Hard booting the phone would get old quick!

Reaction score
I don't really understand why you want to "force" yourself into liking something when it appears you prefer the Incredible compared to the iPhone 4. Which is fine, being on a biased forum you are going to get a lot of Apple centric replies but I only own an iPhone 4. So I am by no means Apple entrenched and I'll try and give you some advice. Keep in mind I have never owned an Android phone before but have seen them in action.

The weather app doesn't find my location by GPS like the weather app on my droid. Now there may be one to download that does and if there is then let me know.

I am not sure about weather apps. I used MyCast Weather which is a nice full featured weather app but can't remember if I had to manually input my location. I know of some alarm apps that generate your location via GPS for weather information but again I can't say which of the weather apps do this.

I don't see any free navigation like my droid has. Google navigation.
MapQuest is free and is a decent navigation app for iOS but I can tell you right now there is nothing for iOS that compares to Googles Android maps offering. I have seen it and it is a killer app. You won't find anything like it on iOS, even with the expensive TomTom and Navigon apps.

When I loaded websites up both when the same amount of bars of 3G service the Android loaded the website much faster. The same with the same wifi.
3G has to do with carrier and location. AT&T in my experience has faster 3G data service than T-Mobile/Verizon/Sprint. AT&T has slow periods but overall the 3G service is good. As far as wifi I can't help you there. My iPhone 4 is on my home wifi network using broadband speeds and I get about 10.73 MB down and 2.5 MB up on very good days. It is pretty fast for my needs.

The text messages are in bubbles and I can only see so much without scrolling back up. The apps don't seem multi task as well as the android ones.
iOS does not use full multitasking like Android (which keeps the full app running in the background). iOS allows developers to use certain APIs for backgrounding but when you leave an app in iOS, if it doesn't use one of those allowed backgrounding APIs the app will just save its state (devs have to implement save state into apps) so when you return to the app, it starts right where you left it (again if the dev has updated their app for save state).

Also where was it that I'm not supposed to hold the phone while talking on the iphone 4 to damage the signal?
Bottom black strip on the side of the phone with the silent switch and volume + and - buttons. That lower corner will attenuate the signal if you touch it with skin.

Any cool FREE apps that might make me enjoy this phone more please point them in my direction.
Most of the apps I use are either the default Apple ones or paid for apps. Outside of the main free apps like Netflix, Facebook (which is head and shoulders better than the Android offering), Twitter there isn't many I can suggest outside of games.

Three games I play constantly are We Rule, We Farm, and Pocket Frogs.

OP
L
Reaction score
The ATT Wireless app allows you to check data usage.

Have you had a hard time with the signal strength on your Incredible? I had the Moto Droid before and signal was excellent in my house. Now that I got the inc it has drastically went down hill :[

Yeah, it looks that way but it's not. It just appears that the signal isn't as good as the motorola because for some reason the HTC doesn't do a good job on reading the signal. On 2.2 it's a bit better than 2.1. Are you running 2.2? They fixed the issue on 2.2 it seems like. The signal is still the same but it looks like it's really low when it's actually not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish the text messages was not in bubbles. That is super annoying. Whoever thought of that idea...

See my Palm Treo phone had them as a list and I hated it. I like the bubbles, but then again I'm a Mac user and it looks the same as iChat so I probably like the familiar interface.

OP
L
Reaction score
See my Palm Treo phone had them as a list and I hated it. I like the bubbles, but then again I'm a Mac user and it looks the same as iChat so I probably like the familiar interface.

Well, I'm also a mac user. I have a macbook pro. BUT I've never used Ichat. So, I can't comment on that. I don't know anyone else with a mac nor no one else with an iphone. lol I have one of the new macbook pro 15 inch's intel i5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm also a mac user. I have a macbook pro. BUT I've never used Ichat. So, I can't comment on that. I don't know anyone else with a mac nor no one else with an iphone. lol I have one of the new macbook pro 15 inch's intel i5.

WOW! I have multiple friends and business associates with iPhones and Macs. I even have a few friends who use Droids and at least 2 of them are fixing to dump their Droid (and T-Mobile) to get an iP4....

I'm getting a new Macbook (or Macbook Pro) in a few weeks to replace my aging iBook G4...

OP
L
Reaction score
WOW! I have multiple friends and business associates with iPhones and Macs. I even have a few friends who use Droids and at least 2 of them are fixing to dump their Droid (and T-Mobile) to get an iP4....

I'm getting a new Macbook (or Macbook Pro) in a few weeks to replace my aging iBook G4...

Yeah, everyone I know has droids or blackberries and no macbooks. The new macbooks are awesome. Which one are you getting? I went with the 15 inch intel i5 like I said. Almost went for the i7 but honestly it wouldn't benefit me any. The i5 is plenty fast enough. The thing is awesome. I don't have a windows computer anymore. Got rid of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll go with either the MacBook or the Pro with the C2D chip. No point in getting an i3 or i5 machine since this is just for travel use, not my main machine (hoping to upgrade my Quad G5 to a Quad Intel MacPro soon too). I've lugged this iBook G4 around for 6 years now and it still does the basic job it's just getting slow these days. It doesn't really like 10.5 although it runs fairly well. Never had a hardware issue or anything.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'll go with either the MacBook or the Pro with the C2D chip. No point in getting an i3 or i5 machine since this is just for travel use, not my main machine (hoping to upgrade my Quad G5 to a Quad Intel MacPro soon too). I've lugged this iBook G4 around for 6 years now and it still does the basic job it's just getting slow these days. It doesn't really like 10.5 although it runs fairly well. Never had a hardware issue or anything.

Yeah, I use my laptop as my main machine. I also record music on it and it works well. I'd go macbook pro there are a few advantages just for that and it doesn't cost much more if you are going with the 13 inch.

The aluminum unibody design is awesome. I haven't had one problem out of my macbook. I never restart it. Just let it sleep. Never freezes up or anything. Hoping the iphone does the same thing.

Haven't had any problems out of the iphone yet. A ton of problems out of the droid. But the droid is still a very awesome device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't had any problems out of the iphone yet. A ton of problems out of the droid. But the droid is still a very awesome device.

That sort of highlights the philosophies of the two platforms right there. The iPhone, like all Apple products, pretty much just works out of the box where it sounds like the droid, much like Windows, has some hassles. Nothing wrong with either perspective and while the Droid does give you more freedom in some respects than the iPhone there is a price to pay for it.

It all boils down to the phone doing what the consumer wants it to. Some people find the style of the device itself to be as important as its function, some don't care what it looks like as long as it does what they want how they want.

Frankly, I've been using Apple products for so long it is highly unlikely I will ever own a phone that is not an iPhone again. Not to say that other phones might not suit my needs but I've overall been happy with every Apple product I've purchased. Why switch now?

OP
L
Reaction score
That sort of highlights the philosophies of the two platforms right there. The iPhone, like all Apple products, pretty much just works out of the box where it sounds like the droid, much like Windows, has some hassles. Nothing wrong with either perspective and while the Droid does give you more freedom in some respects than the iPhone there is a price to pay for it.

It all boils down to the phone doing what the consumer wants it to. Some people find the style of the device itself to be as important as its function, some don't care what it looks like as long as it does what they want how they want.

Frankly, I've been using Apple products for so long it is highly unlikely I will ever own a phone that is not an iPhone again. Not to say that other phones might not suit my needs but I've overall been happy with every Apple product I've purchased. Why switch now?

Yep, Apple makes fine products. There is just a few things the Android does that I wish the iphone would do. If it did that and was on Verizon it would literally be the perfect phone. I am starting to love the iphone now though after using it all day. I've literally done nothing but sat here and used it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.