Superdrive possible failure, doesn't read cd/dvds

Reaction score
Dear all,

I own a macbook pro, mid 2009 and its superdrive was working fine till 3 days ago. Now, whenever I try to insert a CD or DVD, the drive doesn't read it at all and after 2'' it ejects it. I tried reseting SMC and PRAM with no luck. I also tried that "batmac" trick [hold the mac upside down] with no luck either except my neck is now damaged too..

So, two questions:

1)What could the damage be? It's not a lens thing since it doesn't even try to read the cd\dvd.

2)My warranty is no longer valid [expired 1 month ago..]. How much would it cost to replace it? I live in Greece and no Apple Store exists here yet. I must take it to my provider [authorized reseller], check it [don't know how much this is going to cost either] and have it replaced.

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
2)My warranty is no longer valid [expired 1 month ago..]. How much would it cost to replace it? I live in Greece and no Apple Store exists here yet. I must take it to my provider [authorized reseller], check it [don't know how much this is going to cost either] and have it replaced.

No one here is going to have any idea of how much it's going to cost you unless they likewise live in Greece and have had that work done before.

You don't have much choice if you want that drive replaced. I suggest first getting an estimate of the cost of replacing the drive. If you determine the cost of replacing the drive to be excessive, you can always purchase an inexpensive USB external drive and use it instead.

OP
B
Reaction score
You don't have much choice if you want that drive replaced. I suggest first getting an estimate of the cost of replacing the drive. If you determine the cost of replacing the drive to be excessive, you can always purchase an inexpensive USB external drive and use it instead.

Thank you for your response.

I will go with the scenario of the external usb drive for now. I just don't like the idea of having it broken after only 1 year and after very very little use.. Besides, I will have to carry the external device as well...

I will ask my provider about the cost [The hole procedure here in Greece is painful].

Thank you again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.