Trying to setup a wireless router to my Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Right, i will keep this nice and simple. I have had broadband internet for the past 10 days and yesterday i got myself a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router so both myself and my partner can connect our Macbook Pros up to the wireless internet.

But the problem is we cannot seem to connect onto the wireless network. It shows up when searching for internet connecting even when its is open without a password or with a password it does not want to connect?!?!

I can plug my laptop directly (as i am doing now) into the broadband modem and it works so i have no idea what is wrong?

If you can reply speaking English and not too much computer language that would be fantastic.

Many thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like your wireless security is not set up correctly. This is done by logging into the wireless router's configuration web page. The process should be detailed in your manual.

When prompted to choose a security type, be sure to set it to "WPA" or "WPA2". You'll then be prompted to set a password. This is the password you'll be prompted for when you go to connect to the wireless network.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey, still had an afternoon of frustration trying to sort this out.

I have attached a couple of screen shots showing what i am seeing in the Router Website. Can you please check that i have been entering the information in correctly.

Thanks

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/mintynw7/Screenshot2010-09-20at191249.png

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/mintynw7/Screenshot2010-09-20at191244.png

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/mintynw7/Screenshot2010-09-20at191241.png

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/mintynw7/Screenshot2010-09-20at191229.png

I am in Denmark that is why the Time is +1 hour.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're using WEP for wireless security. WEP is dead. It's a data encryption standard that is easily crackable using readily available tools. It can be cracked under a minute by any teenager who knows how to use Google.

In addition, WEP has numerous standards for entering the key at the client side. This is usually what trips up people trying to configure it.

All of this can be negated, simply by using the more modern, easier to use and faster WPA standard, as advised previously.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have tried using WEP, WPA Personal 1 and 2. Passwords containing Numbers, Letters and still the same result.

Find the internet signal, enter in the password and session is just timed out. Even when there is no password it will still not connect.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried using WEP, WPA Personal 1 and 2. Passwords containing Numbers, Letters and still the same result.

Find the internet signal, enter in the password and session is just timed out. Even when there is no password it will still not connect.

Let's back up.

From the Modem, there should be an Ethernet cable that is connected to the "WAN" or "Internet" port on the router.

Then, connect another Ethernet cable to one of the four ports at the rear of the router. Can you access the Internet?

OP
C
Reaction score
Right:

From the phone line i have the black phone cable plugged into the modem.

Then from the modem i have a blue cable running to the 'internet' port of the router.

Then i have run the cable both directly from the modem and the router to my Macbook to access the internet and both ways work perfectly fine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right:

From the phone line i have the black phone cable plugged into the modem.

Then from the modem i have a blue cable running to the 'internet' port of the router.

Then i have run the cable both directly from the modem and the router to my Macbook to access the internet and both ways work perfectly fine.

I'm a bit confused on that last sentence. Let's make sure we're clear here. You have an Ethernet cable running from the modem to the Internet port on the router. Then you have run an Ethernet cable from one of the four ports on the back of the router to the MacBook and the Internet is working properly?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.