Gimp.app and X11

T

Tim

I tried to download Gimp.app this afternoon from Apple's downloads section, and the program wouldn't run. It said that I needed to have X11 installed.

So, naturally, having thought I already did have X11 installed, I went to the Apple download page again and downloaded X11. When I tried to install it, I was told that I wasn't going to be able to because I already had newer software on the hard drive.

What gives? Will I be able to use Gimp.app and other X11 programs at all, or will they always tell me I don't have X11, meanwhile X11's installer tells me I have a more advanced copy already?

OP
B

badmojo

I did this a couple days ago. I had to install the X11 app from my #1 Tiger OS DVD. It's in an optional applications subfolder somewhere. X11 installed fine, I rebooted (old Windows habit), and installed Gimp. Didn't really like GIMP, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i think you need to delete the X11 reciepts in your library..that happened to me a lot

OP
Y

yubozhao

1. get your disc 1 of tiger and in the find a file called x11sdk.dmg and installed that. which you will find the x11 apllicaion is located in /applications/utility
2. download gimp(i think gimpshop is a much better vesion)
3. installed it and run from /applications you odnt need preopen x11 to run it

p.s. you might awnt download fink and fink commando they are very very good packages managment

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.