Can't install my HP Deskjet 1280

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Aluminium, 2Duo Intel Thingy Wotzit!
Hey All....

Im struggling with my HP Deskjet 1280 and setting it up on my imac!!

I have downloaded all of the new setting from the HP site, and it prints in black and white but I can not for the life of me work out how to change the settings to colour! I can get to the colour stage, but it comes up with a warning and does not let me click to change from grey to colour!! It says:

cant open file "."

When I try to open the colour settings to change from Grey! Very frustrating!!

I can email over a screen shot to anyone if that helps?

Also... I want to know if it is possible to print in say "fast draft, best, normal, greyscale, black only" etc... and how to get to this if its possible?

I don't know my Mac inside out so any help with it, step my step simple guides would be fab!

Thank you in advance.
=o)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What OS are you using... OS 10.x.x?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.6.4

Sorry forgot to mention that part!! =o)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks very much for your help! I will give it a go!!
Bit of a nightmare if it doesn't work! If it doesn't.... do I need a new printer to print in colour?! Yikes....!

Thank you again! Much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully you get it working.
When it comes to printers, I am in the habit now of buying the cheapest printers.
This way, I think of them as disposable items, that if they break, or I end up with compatibility issues, I just go get another one.
Lately, the canon pixmas have been an easy cheap option for me, and in all honesty, they do the trick.
Yep, the ink can get a bit pricey, but getting refills or generic brands instead of the Canon branded ink cuts down the cost significantly.
I think that latest one I have cost around AU$70 and has been purring along for 2+yrs. so far. It prints, copies, and scans in great quality, and when it gives up the goose, I'll just get another cheapy. I've even printed really nice A4 photos with it, which I have framed, and they really are professional quality.
It's quiet, and although not as fast as a laser, I'm not running on a strict print schedule :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@strawberry7

Download an open source driver for your DJ 1280 from here. Read everything carefully and be sure to download all the files that are required. Bit of a bother to get it setup, but it does work and it will give you color. Let us know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.