Applescript help: Find file, copy file

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post. Forgive me if not. I really need some help with writing a script.

Hello all,

I'm a newbie. I have very little experience with applescript. Here's what I'm looking for:

I start with an excel document. The excel document has a column with sku #s. I would like to write a script that:

1. Asks where the excel file is, and then opens.

2. Asks for the column number to use while searching.

3. Ask where to search for files (files are kept in a specific location, but needs to be searched recursively.) Several sub-folders exist within the main folder.

4. Asks where to place found files.

5.Search for files that contain (in their name) the sku # from the excel document.

6. Copy found files to the chosen location.

7. Alerts me concerning files not found.

Fyi - all files are images, BUT, not always .jps, or .tifs, etc. Also, for example, the sku# in the excel document / column may be "RGN.600098." The image file will always contain the numbers of the sku # from the excel document. However, the file name might be slightly different, ex. "BBRN.600098.tif." So, searching by number is necessary, as I see it. As well, I can easily create a column in excel that has only the number of the sku, not containing the alpha prefix. More to add, the number of digits of the sku is not consistent. It may have 5 - 7 digits.

Does this make sense? I hope I'm being clear concerning what I'm looking for.

Any help at all would be very greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.