• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't open MTS file on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro + a panasonic ZS-7 difital camera.
When I create a video from the digital camera, i get MTS files, which my MBP cannot open.

What kind of convert software would you recommend?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Is it creating MTS files, or is it creating an AVCHD hierarchy folder? from what I've read, that camera stores in AVCHD Lite, which usually means there will be a private folder - and you are NOT MEANT to dig down into that folder to get the mts files, instead, you should use iMovie to import the files, at which time it will auto convert the videos into an editable codec.

If you've already moved the mts files out of the AVCHD structure, and have erased the structure (basically, assuming your camera does have the AVCHD structure, DON'T mess with the files stored in the streams subfolder if you're wanting to edit those files -you're adding extra work that isn't worth the effort) and want to just view the files, you can watch them with Movist or VLC.

If you have the latest version of Handbrake it should be able to convert the mts files as well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Nethfel!

I opened iMovie and plugged my digital camera memory stick and Voila - all the clips were there...

Now - how do I convert them?
Do I need to export the clips one by one?

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, you have a few options -

- If you want them all as individual clips, then you can export each one individually

- If you want them chained together in a movie of sorts, you can create a project in iMovie and in that project layout the clips in the order you want them to and export that.

- If you import them all, but don't want to use iMovies conversion, you can reveal in finder the master footage on your computer and from there you can use Handbrake, mpegstreamclip, etc. to convert the footage to a different container/codec for viewing (when iMovie imports HD video, it will store it using the AIC codec which takes a good amount of space).

Of course, if you just want one of the .mts files, as I mentioned above - you could just convert the individual files you need (one thing to consider is if the recording you're converting is longer then what can be stored in a single file, multiple .mts files may be one event recording) - you can also use VLC or movist to play the raw mts files if you want to see them without using iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.