Can't connect 10.5.8 G5 to airport internet sharing from iMac 10.6.4

Reaction score
I have set up my new (mid 2010) iMac (10.6.4) to share its internet connection over WiFi.

My PowerPC G5 (10.5.8) can see the network, but every time I try to connect to it I get the message 'connection failed.' The console doesn't say anything very edifying: Apple80211Associate() failed, and the error code -10.

Some relevant facts:
1. If I don't enable Internet sharing, but just generate a computer-to-computer network with the SL iMac, I have no trouble connecting from the G5.
2. My Intel-based late 2006 MacBook, also running 10.5.8, has no trouble connecting to the shared Internet network.
3. My iPhone and iPad also are able to connect to the shared Internet network.

So far I have tried
-getting rid of the relevant system preference files
-rolling back to the 10.5.7 airport .kext
-repairing permissions
-renaming the network on the originating iMac
-using both secured and unsecured networks on the originating iMac
-using both manual and flexible IP addresses under the configure IPv4 in the TCP/IP tab of network preferences, on both computers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PowerPC G4 Mac OS X (10.5.8) Late 2005

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would highly recommend that you pick up an inexpensive wireless router. Internet Connection Sharing is great when it works, but it's really not intended to be a permanent solution. Wireless routers are a lot more configurable, won't drain your system resources -- not to mention that you won't need to leave your machine on 24/7 in order to have the Internet accessible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.