iPhone with broken off button, how can I shut it down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
I have a 3G iPhone. Works fine aside from the off button (top right) doesn't work. No big deal, I have it on 'sleep' after 60 seconds and keycode after 15 mins, so the loss of the off switch and screen shots is no great loss.

However, I do need to shut it down every now & then to reboot; today for example I have 3 x apps that won't update, they are 'stuck' on waiting to load mode. I know they'll simply update if I just reboot the phone, I know the phone will reboot when I plug it in to recharge after the battery totally dies, but this will be a 36 hour wait. * syncing the iPhone does not clear the 'waiting to update' glitch BTW.

So, is there a simple way of rebooting the iPhone without waiting for the battery to totally die? :Cool:

thanks in advance

I've tried all of those urban myth options of squeezing the phone at the top right corner and pushing the button etc, I could do with a more scientific suggestion now :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
You can jailbreak it, and download "sbsettings" with that you can restart, shut down, and whatnot from your screen only :)

OP
karlos2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
thinking further than my nose end here ......... but Jailbreaking requires shutting down the phone at various points during the whole process, but without an on / off button I can't do this <duh>
So, I guess the answer is no then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
No experience with iOS, but I saw this somewhere once. May or may not work.

Settings App>General>Network Settings and then reset the network settings. According to the guy that posted this, the phone will then restart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.