Prblem after eleminating windows partition

Reaction score
Hi All! I'm really hoping someone can give some advice on this problem. I used bootcamp to put a small windows xp partition on my new Macbook Pro. However, the windows partition stopped loading and would get stuck on the initial gray screen. But the Mac OSX would still load. So, I just chalked the problem up to a windows instability issue (big surprise) and deleted the windows partion, reabsorbing the memory used back into my Mac OSX. BUT, after I turned my mac off and back on again later, it won't load up at all. It just freezes at the gray screen and won't do anything. The disks spin for a bit, then nothing. I held down opt key and received "No bootable device --insert boot disk and press any key". I put the mac osx cd in the cd drive thinking it would auto-run and let me repair/reinstall my OS....no change.

Did the mac delete both partitions? (Is that even possible since I did it from within the mac osx)

Will there be a way to repair this problem myself? Is all my data lost?

I would take it to a mac store but I just joined the military and won't have off post priveledges for at least another month maybe two so any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you delete the Windows partition from OS X? Did you use the Boot Camp assistant to remove the Windows partition? If you used the BC assistant to remove the Windows partition, everything should be normal. You can not delete your OS X partition while booted from the hard drive so it should still be there.

It could be a coincidence that your hard drive failed during the time you were restoring the Windows partition back to OS X. That's what it sounds like. Try this: See if you can start the machine with your OS X DVD. Hold down the C key as soon as you hear the chime. It will take awhile to boot. After it boots, don't allow it to go into the install phase. Instead, click on the top menu Utilities and then click Disk Utility. Do a verify and repair on the hard drive and let us know.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yes, I repartitoned using bootcamp. I just did what you told me, and the disk utility found no errors. And when I restarted (after selecting the approprate hard drive) it worked! Thanks!!!!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Glad you got it sorted out. Come back and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.