• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Imagining An End Game For RIM

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is it just me or is everyone saying every bad thing they can about RIM lately? This article is no different. Does it even matter what RIM does anymore or have disparaging remarks become the norm for RIM?

Chief among those scenarios: Microsoft acquiring RIM. The tech giant is desperately looking for a viable way to compete in the smart-phone market and it has deep enough pockets ($36 billion) to help RIM branch out its mobile offerings to reach a wider range of consumers.
Never going to happen. I find it hard to believe that MS would spend that much of their capital to enter a market that isn't really their focus and I don't think RIM would sell itself off because they've been experiencing some issues.

The article also states that they only had 4.5 million subscribers. Honestly, using the word only was a poor choice. Sure, it may not be what they expected but 4.5 million subscribers is still quite a bit.

I won't ignore the fact that they have been having some trouble (example: luke warm reception of OS 6) but it's hardly the time to start calling for massive change and the end of RIM as we know it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed, Vansmith. RIM's financials are strong and they have and will continue to hold a strong foothold in the business market. BB isn't the hot property it once was, but for certain niche markets, it's the best solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The article also states that they only had 4.5 million subscribers. Honestly, using the word only was a poor choice. Sure, it may not be what they expected but 4.5 million subscribers is still quite a bit.

That's 4.5 million new subscribers in a quarter. Not bad at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Never going to happen. I find it hard to believe that MS would spend that much of their capital to enter a market that isn't really their focus and I don't think RIM would sell itself off because they've been experiencing some issues.

Right there is the flaw in your argument. What IS Microsoft's focus these days? They don't even seem to know and they appear to be simply casting around looking for markets they can try to exploit or bully their way into.

After years of criticizing Apple they have entered the Hardware business (Zune, X-Box, iPad knockoff etc) without seeing much irony. They are looking for any market they can break into or, in the case of RIM, buy their way into and out of their self dug hole.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Right there is the flaw in your argument. What IS Microsoft's focus these days? They don't even seem to know and they appear to be simply casting around looking for markets they can try to exploit or bully their way into.

After years of criticizing Apple they have entered the Hardware business (Zune, X-Box, iPad knockoff etc) without seeing much irony. They are looking for any market they can break into or, in the case of RIM, buy their way into and out of their self dug hole.

Apple needs a competitor, and consumers need an alternative to the ipod.

Reaction score
If you ask me, (and feel free to correct my flaws in this), RIM is becoming a little bit more like Apple was in the 90s.

-Multiple hardware models
-Ever-changing OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Apple needs a competitor, and consumers need an alternative to the ipod.

Competition is always good for the consumer and they have alternatives to
the iPod they just don't sell as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not sure that's a flaw in my argument but I do agree that they do have a lack of focus. My argument was based on a recognition that they seem content to developing the software and not the hardware when it comes to phones. Let's not forget the second part of my argument which was that a slightly weak part of the year (which was in actual fact, still fairly good) is not grounds for RIM to go looking for a buyer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.